Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads Residential Forum

Help to find the best Alarm System

Hello,

I'm Helping someone with coding a very large residential project. It's almost finished but where stuck with the Alarm system. Now there is an Aritech ATS4000 Alarm unit. I can control the unit from AMX. But there is one majour disadvantage: To get connected with the unit you have to make a connection with a system code. When you enter this code from the netlinx source, you can control all the functions of the alarm unit.

The big disadvantge is the the owner wants diffrent code's for difrent family members and staff. The codes are in the Aritech panel, and this is working fine in standalone mode. But if we want to enter the code from AMX that doenst work, because we have to use the system code to get RS232 connection. I can fake it and manage the code's in the AMX controller, but that isnt what we want.

So I was wondering if there is a alarm unit that can manage multiple alarm codes from RS232 (or IP) and that sents input status back on a really simple basis. We just want to give the commands through from the AMX to the alarm unit and back.

I read about the ELK system but I doenst know if that can manage multiple code's. Hope someone can help me.

I also want to look into the NOX system: http://www.noxsystems.com/en/73/Operation.htm Maybee some has experiance with the NOX system ?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    We've had pretty good luck with GE
  • bwestlakebwestlake Posts: 82
    Elk M1Gold

The Elk module works well. The system cam be controlled serial or IP and you use the user codes that are stored in the panel just like you do from the system keypad.
  • ProdigalProdigal Posts: 90
    Hi there Roman,

You were able to make a code to work fine with the ATS4000?

I'm cracking my head out here, and not being able to get nothing from the Panel itself.
    It looks like I'm doing a lot of things wrong I suppose.

We also have an ATS4000 and all we need is:
    - see when there is an alarm on a specific area
    - disable active alarms
    - arm/disarm alarm

But I can't get passed the Handshacking, the pannel doesn't reply a thing

The test password at the moment is 0000000000 so I'm sending these strings to try to open a conection:

SEND_STRING Alarm_central, "$5E,$5E,$5E"
    wait 2
    SEND_STRING Alarm_central, "$5E,$00,$01,$06,$01,$00,$00,$00,$00,$00,$D7,$70"

I don't know, if you could be so kind to share the alarm system code, or give some examples for the Handshaking and polling out of the system.

Best regards,

Andr? Ludgero
    Ok, I figured out the problem here.

Was missing a little byte during the handshake

Best regards
  • OK,

Otherwise I can help you... I sent you a private message..
  • On Saturday we discussed an other solution. We're gonan put a PC in between taht communicate with the Aritech trough Aritech comm modules. And that server passes the zone states just by events and it passes the user rights just by sending the code to the PC
    Roman Bias wrote: »
    On Saturday we discussed an other solution. We're gonan put a PC in between taht communicate with the Aritech trough Aritech comm modules. And that server passes the zone states just by events and it passes the user rights just by sending the code to the PC

Well I ended up b getting all my system working quite well, but since I didn't have to have diferent users I didn't experienced those user rights problems.

But you tried using the user number on the "user msb and lsb" bytes sent thru AMX and see if the ATS would acknowledge that as commands being sent by that user?

Then you could do the user login on the AMX controller itself, or you really don't want to do that?
  • The Client dont want that. I made the suer login in the AMX.. but he dont want it. I think he's right. Why do you want to reinvent the wheel ? All that functionality has to be in de alarm module...right ?? Or is someone thinking diffrent on this one ?
  • jmastersjmasters Posts: 10
    Elk M1G has so far been the best for us. I have used Ademco, Ge, Dsc panels for integration and so far the Elk takes the bacon. Being able to send custom strings to the control system for events such as Chime, Entry/Exit delay start using the events/rule generator in the elk software. I just finished a system where after sunset the Elk system will tell the Amx via rs232 to turn lights on in the area that the perimeter door was opened in, or in event of alarm turn on all lights. The best part is no more relays and I/O ports to get everything to work and the ability to do this via IP if you are running out of serial ports.