Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules

New Module: Squeezecontrol

I'm working on the module originally released by Jeff Coffler in 2005 for the Squeezebox series, and changing it for everything the series is capable of now in 2009.

Things to be added:

- Internet Radio
- Easier Interface
(Check out this thread for the screenshots of the interface I have already posted:
http://www.amxforums.com/showthread.php?p=42102)
- Extras
- Favorites, easy adding, easy selecting

Interface: 80%
Internet Radio: 20%
Extras: 20%
Favorites: 20%

This Project is Open-Source

If you would like to help out with this project check out the projectsite:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeezecontrol/

Will keep this thread updated as well. But for the actual status be sure to check the projectsite

Comments

• yuriyuri Posts: 861
    i would say, f*cking brilliant.

I've done some stuff for the squeezebox in the past, I will check out what you have so far, see if i can chip in...
  • bcirrisibcirrisi Posts: 148
    Squeezebox Compatibility

I noticed that Logitech is killing off the Squeezebox Classic, I know that the Transporter will work but that is 2k. Does anyone one know if any of the other Squeezebox products will work with the module? It would be great if the Squeezebox Receiver would work for $150.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/&cl=us,en
  • bobbob Posts: 296
    All work excellently, especially the Receiver! I have 6 of them and they work like a charm. all Slimdevices clients are controlled the same (i.e. by their MAC Address from the Server). Some of them have more functionality like the Transporter having several digital inputs, some of them less, but the basic control idea is the same (and this is what the basic module from Jeff Cofler covers).
  • Would the 'Receiver' by itself work alone without the 'Duet' to setup?
    Yes, there is a small program on the net which allows for setup from a computer. Basically all the parameters like server address, ip, dhcp, wifi, etc. Look here: http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP/trac/wiki/GettingStarted
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    bcirrisi wrote:
    I noticed that Logitech is killing off the Squeezebox Classic, I know that the Transporter will work but that is 2k. Does anyone one know if any of the other Squeezebox products will work with the module? It would be great if the Squeezebox Receiver would work for $150.
    I've been using the Roku Soundbridge which sells for $129.00 which has a simple protocol for coding, allows viewing by list, text searches and advance searches.

Supported Media Server types:
    ? ?daap? ? servers using iTunes DAAP protocol
    ? ?upnp? ? servers using UPnP/AV protocol (e.g., Windows
    Connect, Rhapsody, MusicMatch, etc.)
    ? ?rsp? ? Firefly music servers (see www.rokulabs.com/firefly)
    ? ?slim? ? open-source SlimServer product by SlimDevices
    ? ?radio? ? pseudo-server for connecting directly to Internet
    ? ?flash? ? directly connected devices, e.g., a flash card physically
    inserted into a slot on the device
    ? ?linein? ? some WMM devices have a direct audio input
    ? ?am? ? AM Tuner on the SoundBridge Radio
    ? ?fm? ? FM Tuner on the SoundBridge Radio
    ? ?all? ? list all server types
    ? ?debug? ? list debug server discovery info (see below)

It's fast and reliable and can be used with an NAS with DLNA so a PC isn't required to run in the background to source the music. I actually poitn my iTunes to my Buffalo TeraStation NAS and save my music there instead of on my PC so that it's always accessible.

Unfortunately I think Roku stopped support of the SoundBridge (SoundBridge Radio might still be). They're still in production but I think they've geared all their resources towards the Netflix box.
    No need to run a PC either, you just install SlimCenter (former SlimServer) on any NAS where your music is located and run the Squeezebox Clients striaght off the NAS. I wouldn't recommend today anyone to buy Roku, they were closed, stealed the server software from Slimdevices and went out of business. There is no advantage in using the Roku over the Slimdevices Receiver which is $99. There is an excellent two way control for the iPhone/iPod available for Squeezebox which is an added benefit.
  • $99 where is that deal, I thought they were $150? (Slim/Logitech Receiver)
    bob wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend today anyone to buy Roku, they were closed, stealed the server software from Slimdevices and went out of business.
    They closed, then stole the software from slimdevices & then went out of biz. That's an odd sequence of events.

Roku isn't closed & the SoundBridge is still available but as I said they shifted their gears toward a more profitable direction and pretty much stopped support of the SoundBridge itself. I'm sure if they did steal the software they would have been held accountable in the courts so maybe that's true but I don't know. I have noticed that the slim advocates are Roku haters and probably fall left of center. I will say that my SoundBridge is a great product, very versatile and easy to write code for. I've had it running for years w/o any problem and actually got it because using an iPod to me was a joke and the advance search capabilites of the Soundbridge made finding music painless. I'm sure the slimserver is the same but at the time I guess I came across the SoundBridge first.

Is there an open protocol for the slim server available? How do you go about installing the server app on an typical NAS? If I chose to go this route and bought the $99.00 receiver, could I just put that on the network and I'd be able to control it via AMX and through it I would be able to source iTunes, WMM or any other already available music servers on my netowrks just like the SoundBridge? Since as it stands right now the future of the SoundBridge is uncertain at best so I might need to change over. Of course I prefer to run my own code but I don't think doing another one of these devices would be fun. Fortunately what's been posted over the years about slim devices module sounds good.
  • DigiMeDigiMe Posts: 59
    Looking for additional files

I notice within the module you are including 3 additional files. The squeezecontrol.axi is included in the repository, but files SyslogMod.axi and GetIPError.axi are not. Any chance of getting ahold of those files. Thanks.
    DigiMe, go browse the sources (via CVS) and pull down what you need. Everything is in CVS. Those files are at the top level, just above the SlimServer directory itself.
  • hi

is there a way to become the files? on the sourceforge website, i didn't find any files....

thanks
    john
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    @John browse the source
  • Thanks, i found it! (sorry)
  • I must be a little slow but when I go to Files there is none. Is there a link to the Files?

Thanks,

Paul
  • All i found is there:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/netlinx-modules/files/

do you have other URL's?

thanks
    john
  • Thank you, I actually have this already but thought their was a newer updated version. The latest screen shares look great.
  • thepainter wrote: »
    Thank you, I actually have this already but thought their was a newer updated version. The latest screen shares look great.

on the other site (like the link in the post on this thread)
    i didn't found any source-files.....

when you find it, please let me know.

john
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    What is the hardware status of the Squeezebox? Is there a ~$200 hardware piece that this module can control? In looking on Logitech's website all the hardware* comes with either speakers and/or a touchscreen/remote, neither of which I would need if it integrates well. Is the $400 Duet the best option?

Also, is this module a viable option for control?

*except the $2k "Transporter", which looks very cool.
    I use a $350.00 (?) vortex player. 2TB or 4TB for a little more, disc tray, auto rip and CD lookup and audio outputs. Works very well running Squeeze Server and the module works very nice too. You can use multiple Vortex boxes to achieve multiple zone and either mirror the drives or leave them independent, kid's vs adults.
    Colzie: just buy the Duet receiver, not the remote, and you are good to go :)
    Cool, thanks guys. The main draw for this is Sirius radio via the internet.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    The only thing different in this version of the module is the interface. The code is exactly the same. If you want the code simply go to 'develop' and then hit SVN Browse.

Also just get a squeezebox receiver or a squeezebox radio, both available for below $200
    Where can I purchase just the Receiver without the controller? Everywhere I look it is the Duet system that includes the remote.

The Radio looks like a clock radio, I'm looking for something to put in a rack and distribute.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    SQUEEZE

Inquire with your Logitech distributor, you want the DUET but receiver only. Ours quoted the receivers alone for well under $200. And they are often on eBay alone (broken up refurbs).
    Colzie wrote: »
    Where can I purchase just the Receiver without the controller? Everywhere I look it is the Duet system that includes the remote.

The Radio looks like a clock radio, I'm looking for something to put in a rack and distribute.

look here:
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3876
    or
    http://www.wifimedia.eu/catalog/logitechsqueezeboxreceiver-p-316.html

to use the receiver without a controller, use this:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57861&highlight=Net::UDAP

good luck!
    I would still recomend the vortex box: http://vortexbox.org/ since it is both the server and player. You can get it w/o a RIP drive if you don't need to directly RID CDs and wish to RIP through the network from any PC which in some ways is better since you can then use dBPower amp to rip and get your tags and cover art, that works much better than the Amazon service the vortex box natively uses. dBPower amp allows a $5.00/yr service which uses 4/5? services to verify tags.

I think with most of these recievers you need the server running somewhere else but of course I've never used just a receiver so I don't really know. I like the idea of individual vortex boxes for setting up multiple source zones and completely adapted the exisitng module with that in mind. I didn't make provisions for streaming internet or sirius radio though and just made it a simple music server otherwise I would have offered it up for use.
  • glr-ftiglr-fti Posts: 286
    Just in case anyone gets a Vortexbox and plans to use it with the RocketGUI module it will cause issues any time a reboot of the Netlinx master occurs. Unless I'm missing something someone else has uncovered they don't play nice together. I do have the Rocket module running flawlessly on a QNAP NAS.

From what I've discovered the Rocket module will continue to control the device but the feedback does not occur and eventually it just hangs waiting for a response. A RESTART of the Vortexbos Squeezcenter sometimes fixes the problem but usually cause the Squeezebox receiver to shut off.
    What's the RocketGUI module? Where do you find it? Does it do iRadio, Pandora and other stuff besides server music stored on the VB player?