Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools

Modero TP Default Button Sound

Does any one know if there is a way to change the sound effect for all buttons in a TP4 file (without manually changing it on each button)?

Thnx!

Comments

• The new firmware for 8400/7500/CV10/CV7/700i/1000i and ModeroVG 12/15/17 have 10 button hit/miss sounds you can select from. You can also load one custom button hit/miss sound through your TP4 design.

Look for this feature to roll out in future releases of other panels.

Chris
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    While on the subject, just put in my first 5150.

Why is the default button-hit sound an error like buzzer that makes you feel you have done something wrong by touching it?

Kevin D.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    If you go to the support files for TPD4 (C:\Program Files\Common Files\AMXShare\G4SupportFiles\__system\graphics\sounds) you can change the sound by changing "singleBeep.wav" to "_singleBeep.wav" or something else and creating a new .wav with the singleBeep.wav filename. I think this is the directory and file you want, it's been a while since doing this. You then need to do a full TPD4 fiel transfer to the touch panels in order to actually transfer the changed file. Smart transfer won't work.

You'll also find the other 10 files that you'll eventually be able to select that amxcjc was referring too. Once this firmware is realeased you can then overwrite all those files and have a complete custom list if you choose using those filename with different recordings.
  • ColzieColzie Posts: 470
    shr00m-dew wrote: »

I have an upcoming job that may use the 5150. Any issues other than the buzzer?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You know it's interesting... We don't have a single client who likes having the panels bink and boink at them. I always ended up turning it all off anyway.

The one exception we have is a client with several small kids who want the panels to boink at them when any door to the pool/patio area is opened. Other than that, our panels are all silent.

I've experimented with all kinds of click sounds and whatnot and they are all universally hated by our cleints
  • shr00m-dewshr00m-dew Posts: 394
    Colzie wrote: »
    I have an upcoming job that may use the 5150. Any issues other than the buzzer?

It was a small job, so I didn't have much time with it. No issues I could see. Aside from having to add controls that normally fall on the 5200's external buttons, not much to report.

I seem to remember the 5150 not supporting dynamic images, but this one wasn't on the net so I can't comment on that.

Kevin D.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Early 5150's had terrible battery life, but I think since round 2 of the battery recall, they use the same as the 5200i now. I've not used one; one of our dealers had several and returned them all prior to the recall, they wouldn't last an evening of normal use.

Anyone else have info on this?

They also don't have the integrated kickstand, which makes a fair amount of real difference.
    And yes, they have dynamic images disabled as part of their price point feature set.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    shr00m-dew wrote: »

Why is the default button-hit sound an error like buzzer that makes you feel you have done something wrong by touching it?

Kevin D.

I agree. First thing I do on every panel is turn the beeps off on hits and on for misses.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I agree. First thing I do on every panel is turn the beeps off on hits and on for misses.

Ditto. As someone who did a uni degree majoring in sound design that default beep sound makes me twitch. Auditory feedback can be extremely useful a massively increase usability, when done correctly. I'm guessing the engineer that implemented that button hit (and made it on by default) took a little bit too much inspiration from interfaces on film and TV. At least the bargraphs don't make rising and falling beep/clicks as they're changed.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Ditto. As someone who did a uni degree majoring in sound design that default beep sound makes me twitch. Auditory feedback can be extremely useful a massively increase usability, when done correctly. I'm guessing the engineer that implemented that button hit (and made it on by default) took a little bit too much inspiration from interfaces on film and TV. At least the bargraphs don't make rising and falling beep/clicks as they're changed.

Don't forget the early Windows sound themes that included beeps and clicks and whooshes for stuff like minimizing and opening windows; I think IE still likes to click every time you use a hyperlink.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    That's why I don't use IE (well... one of the reasons).

There was some pretty interesting aural interface experiments for the classic Mac OS. They had dynamic sounds assigned to everything action (copy, paste, move, delete etc) that would convey useful information, rather than serve as sensory assault. There was different 'classes' of sound for different actions (wooden, metallic etc.) and the 'weight' of the sound varied depending on file size. The project was eventually axed because people would just get annoyed, especially when there are multiple machines in close proximity.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    PhreaK wrote: »

You are right, the problem isn't auditory feedback, its the sound itself. I use auditory feedback on all my panels and if you do it in the right way it is unobtrusive and helps the user. The default sound is brutal.
    Paul.