Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools
Options

Screen Savers for touch panel?

I'm afraid I may ask, is there any method to put screen savers on touch panels. I couldn't find any. Do the newly developed TPs have such options?

Comments

• Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    Why? Turn off the display.

If you really want to display something... for a couple customers, I have put a webserver on an always-on computer and a folder on their desktop where they could drag images to. The panels check for a new image from this webserver every 20 seconds to a minute and display them. They call a script I wrote that takes a random image and resizes it to fit within panel dimensions and sends the resized version to the panel. This way they can turn their panels into very expensive digital photo frames.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    On a similar note the MVP-9000i's have a micro SD slot and a new command called ^PIC to allow viewing pics stored on the card. The units ship with a card.

Also AMX's Picture Frame works well if you don't want to take the time to develope your own pic viewer and there is is another pic viewing module written and posted by a forum member that a forum search might turn up.

I personally would just turn them off and save on the lamp hours. Originaly I thought it was a great idea but the idea of shortening the life of the lamps and needing to send a panel in to replace a lamp prematurely cuz of pictures being displayed that no one really sits and looks at didn't make sense.
  • Options
    vining, re: 9000, not bad - guess I'd have to see documentation for the command, but that's still 9000i-specific. Good to know information, anyway.

Regarding my photo script, it took me all of 5 minutes to write...if I can find it I'll post it here (just looked - don't have any of the versions I wrote - should I rewrite it?) as well as instructions on how to use it ;) It's also free, instant, and will work on Win, Mac or Linux.

Re: lamps, an iPad on low should last a while. The newer panels should last a while as well. The jobs where I've done this has been with aging 8400's though but hey, the customers wanted it...
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    true wrote: »
    Re: lamps, an iPad on low should last a while.
    To me iPads are so cheap I consider them disposable so a pic viewer on them and leaving them on 24/7 if fine if one chooses. Plus you can store images onboard so you don't need a PC running. AMX TPs is another story unless the customer insists on having it. It's their dime after all. :)
  • Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    true wrote: »
    Why? Turn off the display.

If you really want to display something... for a couple customers, I have put a webserver on an always-on computer and a folder on their desktop where they could drag images to. The panels check for a new image from this webserver every 20 seconds to a minute and display them. They call a script I wrote that takes a random image and resizes it to fit within panel dimensions and sends the resized version to the panel. This way they can turn their panels into very expensive digital photo frames.

AMX Picture Frame...

http://www.amx.com/products/NSS-PFRAME.asp
  • Options
    AMXJeff wrote: »

Maybe you missed the three important points - it runs on more platforms, the source is available, and it is free. A couple of points I didn't make are that it's a simple drag-and-drop operation to add more images and it requires no special user interface software to configure.