Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Sharp TV 'Power ON'

2»

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I have a Sharp model LC-22LS510UT that just doesn't work with any of these methods. I can power on only via IR and once on if I send the RSPW1---,CR (- = sp) I'll get an "OK" but once powered off I still can't get it to turn back on. I also can't find any query strings that work. The doc says:
    When “?” is input for some commands, the present setting value responds
    but I get nothing for any commands.

If I turn on via IR this TV will spit out alot of junk which ends with this:
    <fact_parser> CLI init fails$0D$0A$0D
    anyone see this before?

Right know I have both IR and 232 connected and I power on using IR and when I recieve "<fact_parser> CLI init fails$0D$0A$0D" I set my power state to ON (1). I can power off via 232 and I'll receive the proper "OK" response. I can't do any initial queries when I power on cuz they don't work but if I sent a command to change states I will recieve "OK" unless I'm already in that state then I'll get an ERR. What a P.O.S. Also with 232 there's no way to do menu commands, menu button, up, down, etc. Nothing documented for these at all.

I'm thinking I should just ditch this kitchen counter top TV and just avoid Sharp from now on. Anyone else been through this and figure out a way to get the set to work? I think the problem lies with the "fact_parser> CLI init fails" cuz that would make sense since it doesn't seem interpret commands properly.
    I contacted Sharp TS and got the usual run around. It was a complete waste of time and the tech finally told me he would have to send this up the chain and they'd get back to me in a day or two. I did ask if there was a new firmware but he checked with higher ups and returned with a no. He finally called back 2 days later and left a message saying the commands in the doc are the commands and there's nothing else they can do.

That pissed me off so I sent them an nice email which apparently got someones attention. I got a follow up email, a phone call which I missed yesterday and another call today from a very helpful lady who sent me this firmware update. I haven't tried it yet and probably won't for another week but here it is for anyone that might need it.

Sharp TV's firmware (with instructions):
  • chillchill Posts: 186
    As DHawthorne says, the protocol varies by model. Your manual seems to be saying that it's
    'POWR0   '

and
    'POWR1   '

...but in some other Sharps it's 'POWR 0' and 'POWR 1' (three spaces after 'POWR'). For still other models, you have to send 'POWR0000' or 'POWR0001'. It's fantastic.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    The point of the spaces and 000 are to allow that part of the command to target a specific display ID for video wall installations. And only some of their products support that, and the simpler ones don't use the ID insert. really developed at different times by different teams. Not fun for us, but I've been there, and coordination of such things in corporations is just not easy.
    chill wrote: »
    As DHawthorne says, the protocol varies by model. Your manual seems to be saying that it's
    'POWR0   '

and
    'POWR1   '

...but in some other Sharps it's 'POWR 0' and 'POWR 1' (three spaces after 'POWR'). For still other models, you have to send 'POWR0000' or 'POWR0001'. It's fantastic.
    The manuall is very specific but of course I've tried the variation permutations of the commands that seem to work for the different models. It's the only prudent thing to do if you know there are these variations from model to model.

The commands for the most part are fine using the syntax specified in the manual and I revceive my "OK" repsonse. I even recieve the "OK" in response to the RSPW1 command but it simply doesn't do what it's supposed to. I firmly believe the "<fact_parser> init fails" string I receive when I power up (via IR) is the culprit. Something just not right with this set. I'm really, really hoping the firmware will fix this.

Of course this is just a 22" TV for the kitchen counter and as I first told TS it might be cheaper in the long run if I this "sharp tv" to the parking lot an run it over with my truck, then buy an LG or NuVision or something else. It's is the only Sharp on the job but it is a 22" with RS232 so I bought it.

John Nagy wrote:
    The point of the spaces and 000 are to allow that part of the command to target a specific display ID for video wall installations. And only some of their products support that, and the simpler ones don't use the ID insert. really developed at different times by different teams. Not fun for us, but I've been there, and coordination of such things in corporations is just not easy.
    While all sets might not support a "unit address" in the command string the syntax really should be the same for all and the sets that don't/can't use the unit address should just ignore it. It Sharp had their act together that would be the case. Some sets will also obviously need more commands that others but the underlying syntax should be universal.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    John Nagy wrote: »
    [...] coordination of such things in corporations is just not easy.

And such poor discipline in engineering is generally what prevents many products from being quality products.

You can have the brightest minds working on something and only end up with a product with mediocre quality, functionality, usability and reliability if someone isn't holding onto the reins.