Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Sending file to a rs232 port.

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to send a hex file i store in the NI controller to a serial port.

I have a dmx player that is connected to a ni master on a rs232 port, but when the costumer want to change the light i have to go to there.
Now i want to store the changed light file on the master to the internet and with a command trigger it to send over to the dmx player.
How can i do that.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    That really depends on what the DMX supports. Will it let you simply stream the hex contents, or does it require some manner of file transfer protocol? Either way, you are going to have to code some method of reading the file, buffering it, and sending it out again with error correction. I don't think there is a simple answer. If it supports a standard FTP, you are going to have to build a module for that (though it's possible someone already has). If it requires something proprietary, you will need their API as a starting place.
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    You can set this up using master to master over the Internet using a second master at your office.

Connect the lighting hardware to a 232 port on master#1, and in you're office connect your PC running the lighting editor to a 232 port on master#2.

You then write code to forward everything on master2 port directly to master1 port, there is a keyword for the command but I'd need to check it.

The lighting software will think it is directly connected to the lighting hardware via a serial cable. Works like a charm
  • thanks

That is a great idee to do it, what is the keywoord then can i find out and try it .
    thanks for the help.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    I believe Jimweir192 is referring to REDIRECT_STRING
    REDIRECT_STRING
    This command is used to pass all strings from device 1 to device 2 and all strings from device 2 to device 1. This is called a redirection and you can assign up to eight of them at one time.

Syntax:

REDIRECT_STRING (Number, Device1, Device2)

Parameters:

Number - identifies the particular redirection (1-8).

To cancel a redirection, pass zero for Device1 and Device2.

Note: Redirections are lost if system power is turned off.
  • Jimweir192Jimweir192 Posts: 502
    Thanks Joe that was the hole in my head (and no NS3 to hand)