Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Modules & Duet Modules
Options

i!equipment monitor and encrypted connections

Hi,

I use i!Equipment monitor to send mails to the AMX System in order to start some actions.

Everything worked great, until i tried to use an email provider that used encrypted connection with SSL (like gmail).
Gmail uses POP3S and SMTPS protocols, and equipment monitor doesn't allow me neither to send nor to receive any mail.

I don't know if i can do this with equipment monitor. If not, how can i send and receive mails with providers that uses encrypted communications?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Currently there is no support for encrypted connections (SSL, HTTPS, etc.) through NetLinx or Duet.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    azza0091 wrote: »
    Hi,

I use i!Equipment monitor to send mails to the AMX System in order to start some actions.

Everything worked great, until i tried to use an email provider that used encrypted connection with SSL (like gmail).
    Gmail uses POP3S and SMTPS protocols, and equipment monitor doesn't allow me neither to send nor to receive any mail.

I don't know if i can do this with equipment monitor. If not, how can i send and receive mails with providers that uses encrypted communications?

Thank you

I became sick of dealing and managing our multitude of client Internet Providers and their constantly changing email services and settings. I abandoned the whole idea of sending emails from the client location altogether.

I have a AMX master that lives here at our office called the Mothership and I route all email traffic through it and use our mail server here at the office. That way I only have one point of emailing that I'm in control of and can easily manage. Also, the protocol for getting an email from a remote mater to the mothership is in a module on each master. It's not limited to emails but can do all kinds of things.

I'd highly recommend writing something like it and avoiding the whole roller coaster ride of taming the wild internet.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I became sick of dealing and managing our multitude of client Internet Providers and their constantly changing email services and settings. I abandoned the whole idea of sending emails from the client location altogether.

I have a AMX master that lives here at our office called the Mothership and I route all email traffic through it and use our mail server here at the office. That way I only have one point of emailing that I'm in control of and can easily manage. Also, the protocol for getting an email from a remote mater to the mothership is in a module on each master. It's not limited to emails but can do all kinds of things.

I'd highly recommend writing something like it and avoiding the whole roller coaster ride of taming the wild internet.
    Basically to expand on what e' said. Set up your office master as a server, forward the port you choose for this server to use in your router to the master and then just send messages in any format you choose to this master/port to your public IP address from the clients and then just handle messages from those client's masters in your master. If that means sending email then just send through your account but if you use this gmail account you'll need something else. As e' stated you can do much more than just send emails.