Home AMX User Forum AMX Resource Management Suite Software
Options

RMS running SLOW

Anybody else ever experience RMS running extremely slow? Our server will chug along quite nicely for several days and then slow to an unusable crawl for several more. It is running on a high end multicore server. Everything else on the server runs fine. The performance tab on the servers task manager reports cpu usage at about 2%. We have about 150 rooms on the system.

I have noticed that the Netlinx Connection Manager is difficult to stop/start when this happens.

Rick McNeely

Comments

• Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    We had RMS running on a Xen VM environment for several years. The Xen NIC drivers seemed to be a bit flakey, which made the system sluggish most of the time. Moving it to a Hyper-V VM (with better NIC drivers) improved the responsiveness dramatically.

It sounds like you are running other services on the server. Do you have a good overhead of spare RAM? Our DB server (which serves multiple DB apps) ran out of RAM recently, which resulted in RMS not being able to connect to the DB. (I.e. RMS came tumbling down until a reboot of the DB server freed up some RAM.) This is no fault of RMS - it simply had a DB that would refuse connections.

Roger McLean
    Swinburne University
  • Options
    Roger,

Thanks for the information. I ran other processes only to see if if the speed issue was systemic. It appears to be localized to RMS. It (RMS) is having some other issues as well. Might be time to re-install. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Rick
  • Options
    chillchill Posts: 186
    I had a very slow RMS server issue on a job last summer. It turned out to be a database connectivity problem, which meant I had to involve the client's IT staff.