Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion Soundweb Original
Options

9088 serial / usb and 9008 compatability

Hi - I have two questions with regard to my 9088 soundweb (non ii):

Firstly, does anyone have any experience or has there been any testing using usb - serial adapters to communicate, both to download and 'live'?
Obviously the vast majority of laptops do not have serial ports now, there must be others who have encountered this issue..??
Is there a recommended adapter or dongle?

Secondly, can a 9088ii be used to extend the outputs of a 9088 (non II)?

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Comments

• Options
    USB adaptors can work, however do not trust any advice you get regarding brand/model unless the person giving the advice has the exact same brand/model of laptop that you have and is running all of the same drivers, etc. What we've seen is that Brand A USB adaptor will work great with a Dell laptop for instance, but not at all with an IBM or Compaq. At the same time, Brand B will work with a Compaq or a Dell, but not an IBM unless the IBM is running XP Home. Brand C will work with all three laptops, but only for Soundweb and for some reason won't work with a different RS-232 controlled device.

It's crazy. What it comes down to is you need to get one and test it. Save your receipt and be ready to return it if it doesn't work. Luckily, it seems that in most cases they either work or they don't. There's not usually any hidden problems.

If you want a better (but more expensive) option, get an ethernet serial server like the ones available from Moxa. They're more money, but then you can control Soundweb from anywhere on the network including over wireless connections. If the ethernet serial server supports VPN connections, you would also be able to control the Soundweb network from a remote location.

Dan
  • Options
    oops... forgot part 2 of your question.

Yes, you can mix and match any of the various 9088, 9008, 9088ii, 9088iis, etc. If the model number starts with \"90\", you should be able to use it with any other \"90\" product.

Dan
  • Options
    In my experience, the Keyspan USB/Serial Adaptor has always worked for me and my other engineering friends. Keeping Dan's point in mind about computer setups, etc. We all happen to use Sony laptops. I do know someone who has used it with a HP laptop with sucess. You do have to make sure that you have your serial ports setup correctly, etc. It is a fairly inexpensive device and can be purchased any number of places, so if you are looking for a place to start your search, it might be a good start. We have used the adaptor extensively in Live environments without any issues.

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa19hs/homepage.spml

The Moxa piece would be the best option, but is as Dan mentioned, a more costly one.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Just to add my 2 cents...

I found that the Radio Shack USB adapter worked on many of the DBX and BSS products...... up to the point that I had to load firmware to a 9088iis, then it promptly failed. Not a good place to be in. I now suggest a PCM/CIA serial card or the Ethernet Serial Servers as these are both proven and reliable.
This discussion has been closed.