Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London

Conference auto Mix system

OK-

I have a unique challange and I'm looking for comments. I need to assemble a \"town hall\" sudience mic system. This system needs to be portable and handle about 500- yes 500 mics.

I would normally go with a Delegate- however the client does not want the desk top stations.

Would I be crazy to implement this large of a systme in London or should I look towards a more conventional Shure/AT automixer system.

Comments

• ChrisChris Posts: 37
    I would absolutely go with a London system for a number of reasons.

You probably don't need to mix all 500 mics at once, so you don't need a 500 channel automixer. (If you do, it would be easily achived with Soundweb SW9088 boxes!)

You will probably have some software to keep track on who gets to talk (switch active mics).

Take a bunch of BLU32 units as \"distributed mic preamps\". As a 16ch preamp they're even surprisingly cost effective. Ethernet cabling saves a lot of cost and has the advantage of being continiously fault monitored.

Use as many BLU80's as \"main units\" as needed. Have your software to dynamically switch recieving Cobranet bundles/channels to select activated mics.

The BLU80 has all the processing you may need, which a conventional automixer doesn't.

The London system is really easy to control from an external control system, even through ethernet.

With the logic feature in the BLU units, you can use the control ports to light LEDs in the mics to indicate when it's active.

If you're interested I can show you a design I did for a very similar system. Send me a PM.

Chris
  • Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    ...or you could just do it in Soundweb London. Quick and easy. Nothing to it. Email me your contact info and I'll call you next week when I'm back in the office.

Are you sure it's only 500 mics?

Dan
  • bsaaudiobsaaudio Posts: 9
    This post is a very interesting case. I don’t see the “rig” as leaning towards solely “conference” or solely “Soundweb London” to handle the 500 microphone capacity. Since this is a portable rig and not a permanent installation solution, I would try to merge the benefits of both platforms.

A delegate system has some advantages in its ability to “string” or daisy chain microphones onto a single control/signal cable. While the client states they don’t want delegate stations, you still have to have some form of microphone assembly in front of a person who wants to speak. For practical purposes-that’s a simple form of a “delegate station” less the voting, request to speak and built in speaker options included on the station.

What I’m getting at is using a delegate system to limit the amount of cabling to consolidate inward bound signals and then output as a “submix” from the system’s delegate control hardwire into the Soundweb London platform for managing and controlling (over an Ethernet backbone) what will certainly be several defined zones. Granted you are forced into using the microphone options of the conference system, but its not the end of the world.

In some of the conference systems we’ve had the opportunity to install, the control hardware can links to 64 stations on a single control/single line. Why not take advantage of that aspect of a conference system.

At the end of the day, you will definitely want Soundweb London as the master control and audio processing platform for the conference system. Good luck on this endeavor and many of would love to hear about the system if you do opt for Soundweb London.
This discussion has been closed.