Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Multiple Log In

Is there anyway I can log in at the same time in 2 computers using same design simultaneously in one network in the new 1.14 because in in 1.12 I can I only give full access to each user on a specific design? :arrow:

Comments

• Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    edited April 2008
    Using multiple computers is not supported in v1.14. This means that multiple computers work exactly the same way in v1.14 that they did in v1.12.

#1) Don't ask BSS for help with this. That's what \"not supported\" means.

#2) Don't ask BSS for help with any other aspect of a system in which you're using multiple computers. The first thing you'll be told will be, \"power off all but one computer and reproduce the error\".

#3) Don't imagine that it's anybody's fault but your own if something bad happens. That's also what \"not supported\" means.

#4) Read #3 again. Add in the fact that you'll probably be laughed at (behind your back at least) if you ever do complain that somebody else is to blame.

So, what could go wrong?

Bad Thing A) - If 30 computers which are all running the exact same design file should happen to all going online at the same time to the same network, that would mean that each BLU box would need to support 30 simultaneous subscriptions. Can they handle that without crashing the network? <blank stare>Dunno.</blank stare> That's what \"not supported\" means. It would be a really cool thing to try, but I only have 5 computers here. Obviously, a BLU box can handle more than one simultaneous subscription. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to talk to London Architect and an external control system at the same time. For that matter, they wouldn't be able to talk to London Architect and a BLU-10 at the same time. So, how many subscriptions would it take to crash a BLU box? <blank stare>Still dunno.</blank stare>

Bad Thing B) - There's absolutely nothing stopping Bob from going online to the network, uploading foobarV6.architect from his laptop and overwriting all of the EQ and crossover changes that were made by Joe after he uploaded his version of foobarV8.architect.

Bad Thing C) - There's absolutely nothing stopping Bob from going online with the exact same version of the design file as Joe and then hitting the \"sync TO devices\" button and wiping out all of Joe's EQ and crossover settings.

Bad Thing D) - There's absolutely nothing stopping Bob from going online and \"fixing\" the EQ and crossover settings that Joe worked on for hours.

On the other hand, there's also absolutely nothing preventing a designer from offsetting these problems by using his own intelligence and the security tools already available in HiQnet London Architect along with some basic communication skills.

Preventing a network crash due to BadThingA is pretty much out of your hands, but you can experiment to figure out how many simultaneous subscriptions a BLU box can handle without falling over. I know what the maximum number I've seen in simultaneous operation is, but it wouldn't be any fun if I just told you. Go borrow all of the laptops in your engineering department during lunch and put them all online to a single BLU-80 to see what happens.

BadThingB can be prevented if you turn on Box Security and change the box pasword with each rev of the design file. Before anybody whines about how tedious and time consuming this is, be warned that I WILL get the stopwatch out and make you look silly if you do.

BadThingC can't happen if you look at the menu >Tools >File Preferences and hit the \"Operating/Going Online\" tab. Set the \"When Going Online\" option to sync FROM devices. If design security is on and everybody is logging on with a user that has ControlPanelsOnly access, they can't screw anything up because they can't change the \"When Going Online\" option.

BadThingD is the result of human stupidity. I can't fix that. Knock him off a ladder or something.

Did I just say that multiple computers will work work on a Soundweb London network? No, because
    MULTIPLE COMPUTERS ON ONE NETWORK IS NOT A SUPPORTED FEATURE OF HIQNET LONDON ARCHITECT V1.14.

All I said is that there is nothing in the software or hardware which specifically prevents it from working. Go read #3 again.

Dan

*EDIT* Yes, this topic was intentionally locked to keep it from expanding to gigantic proportions. No need to to email me asking if the lock was accidental. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.