Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Output pulse on startup

Hi there.
I have a Blu32 at my mix position and a Blu80 at my amp racks. If I upload a new configuration at the mix position, the Blu80 seems to output a pulse to my amps as it re-syncs with the Blu32.
Also at power up, the Blu80 outputs a pulse at the end of its bootup.
Can I do anything to mute the physical outputs of the Blu80 as a default startup config?
Running V1.080605

Cheers

Gregor

Comments

• Options
    rob birchrob birch Posts: 106
    Hi,

We used a blu 80 and 32 in the same combination last week, as well as sending audio direct to VP7212CN speakers.
    There is a small click when the configuration is loaded, but not when you resync.

I would upgrade all your units to the latest firmware and see if the click is still there.

Are you turning the BLU80 and 32 on after you have powered up the amplifiers? The processors should be first on last off.

If you want to start up in a mute state, place a logic source in your design, turn it on. Wire it to a logic output and drag and drop a mute button (or mute master dependant on your design) for the output you want to mute onto it.
    Repeat for multiple outputs.

Always leave the logic source on.

Unmute and mute your system using your actual mute buttons.

What should happen is everytime the unit powers up, the logic souce will activate and mute the outputs, until you manually unmute them - I havent tested this so if it doesnt work, let me know and i will suggest something else.

Thanks

Rob
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    Gregor,

What does this pulse sound like? You don't give any indication of volume level. When a Soundweb London device powers up (or down), you shouldn't hear anything other than a very small sound. This assumes, of course, that all of the grounding and wiring is correct. No weird lifted grounds, etc. I don't know the exactly level of this \"small sound\", but the best way I can describe it is imagine if you have a system powered up and running with the gains set for a person to speak into an SM58 and be heard very well in the entire venue. At those gain levels, the power-on pulse sounds to me very much like somebody touching the ball of the 58. That's \"touching\". NOT slapping, smacking, hitting, or anything else. It's audible, but definitely not something that could ever hurt anything. If you're hearing something larger than that, you should look over your grounding and wiring to make sure there isn't a lifted ground somewhere.

Remember page 4 of the BLU-80 installation guide:
    ...it is important that all cables be screened, and connected as follows: Audio cable screens to their BLU-80 connector ground. Control cable screens to the ground screws adjacent to the connector. Network cables should be of type CAT.5 fitted with a clip-on ferrite sleeve (STEWART TYPE 28A2029-0A0) near the network socket end. This equipment must be earthed. It should not be necessary to remove any protective earth or signal cable shield connections to prevent ground loops. Any such disconnections are outside the recommended practice of BSS Audio...

Dan

p.s. and upgrade everything to the latest software/firmware. The version you're using is ancient.
This discussion has been closed.