Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

HiQnet and Studiomanager

Hi all,

Would it be possible to run London Architect controlling a BLU-16 and at the same time run Yamaha studiomanager to control for example a LS9 from the same computer. I know it's not recommended (or even possible) to use Cobranet networks together with other Ethernet networks, but what about HiQnet?. Is it asking for trouble? Should I get two computers?

/Anders

Comments

• Options
    jswor415jswor415 Posts: 7
    I have run london architect and studio manager before without a problem on the same computer. I was connected via USB to the console, however. I have not used Studio manager to talk to any of the networked yamaha products. The software should be talking on different ports, so I wouldn't expect a problem. However, to be sure, if it was me, I would probably have a computer with 2 seperate network cards configured on different subnets for talking to the different devices. I do not know if studio manager allows you to select a network card to use or if it just looks for the devices. Let me know what you find out.
  • Options
    I was thinking about using a laptop, so two separate network cards is not really the solution I am hoping for. If I get a chance to try it out I'll let you know how it goes. Meanwhile I'm waiting for someone else to tell us about their experiences.

/A
  • Options
    jswor415jswor415 Posts: 7
    It might just work on the same network without a problem. I know that the other consoles that you communicate wtih via USB uses a Yamaha MIDI interface. It is possible that the same MIDI interface is used in some fashion over the Ethernet network. I don't know though.

You could put either the London or the Yamaha on a wireless network and control one wirelessly and the other one hard wired. That would get both on your computer via two seperate networks.

You could also look into a PCMCIA/USB to Ethernet/Wireless adaptor as the second network card. It would be a lot cheaper then investing in another computer.
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    Or you could just put them both on the same network and not worry about it. You're talking about two devices, not 300. That's a tiny amount of data. There's always a possibility of conflict between two different pieces of software, but what you're talking about is analogous to the fact that I'm currently running 4x Internet Explorer, 1x SmartFTP, 1x Acrobat Connect Pro, 1x London Architect, 1x Google Desktop, 1x VNC, and 1x Lexmark printer controler thing. All 10 of those applications are using the same network interface card to connect to all sorts of things both in my local network and across the internet. There's absolutely no reason you should have a problem running multiple applications which all access the same NIC. If you do have a problem, it won't be related to London Architect unless Yamaha has decided to start using the TCP/IP port which is registered to HiQnet (unlikely).

Also, it's completely possible to use CobraNet on the same network with other protocols and other software. Pretty much the only time CobraNet becomes an issue is when you have cheap hardware.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.