Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

custom naming for source selectors on a BLU-10

So I created some custom entries for the source selectors in my design. The question is, how do I get those custom entries to show up on my blu-10? The sources are house, cd, sinclair, casper, sheridan, and some others. All they show up is 1,2,3,4,5,etc. Please help.

Thank You,
-L-

Comments

• Options
    rob birchrob birch Posts: 106
    Hi,

Go to your source selector.
    Open it to view the default panel.
    Go to properties tab.
    Find the line that says names or custom names.
    Rename and the entries will automatically be updated.

Cheers

Rob
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    Close, but not correct. This is the absolutely #1 most annoying thing about the BLU-10 and leads to endless confusion. I hate this issue even more than the lame implementation of animations. If you take the source selector and \"Open it to view the default panel\", you will be looking at the CONTROL. Since the BLU-10 is incapable of customizing its own selection names, you're forced to customize the entire STATE VARIABLE (SV) just to get custom names to show up on the BLU-10.

A CONTROL is what shows up on the control panel.

An SV is what actually exists in the DSP.

You grab the CONTROL and drag it to the BLU-10 in order to assign the SV to the BLU-10. Changes you make to the CONTROL before or after programming the BLU-10 have no effect on the BLU-10. Since the only changes which have anything to do with the BLU-10 are changes to the SV, the only changes which will reflect are those which are made directly to the processing object using the properties window while the processing object is highlighted.

This whole thing is made worse by the absolute stupidity of the fact that the source selector and the source matrix are completely different in regards to signal naming! For the source selector, you can set it to use the signal names rather than numbers, but there is no way to enter custom names. You have to change the actual signal names. For the source matrix, you can enter custom names directly into the processing object using properties, but there's no way to get it to use signal names.

<sarcasm>I can't imagine how anyone could get confused about something as simple as that.</sarcasm>

Dan
  • Options
    HannaleeHannalee Posts: 56
    Dan,

While we are on stupid signal naming related things. Why can't the ducker change the name of a signal. If I have a ducker that completely ducks a signal ( ie: a jukebox which has priority over a dmx ) why do I have to go thru so much trouble to get the blu-10 to display that the active signal is the jukebox?
  • Options
    Because the ducker is based on the 9088 ducker which didn't even mix the signals together and nobody ever considered that it might be used in the way you're describing largely because they didn't ask me about the fact that I've been using duckers for that since about 2002.

I could be wrong. Might be some other reason.

Dan
  • Options
    So Dan back to the naming game again, remember the BLU-10 custom naming? I'm sure yaou can figure out my retarded question, but here goes...
    The problem is I have 4 sources out of a Matrix router into Cobranet out of Cobranet and into a Source selctor. I've named my Matrix Router \"Wyo\" so my signal from the router is \"wyo output 1, 2, 3, 4. I need the source selector to use ABCD instead of 1234. Am I screwed? These are the names of the rooms. I've done custom entries, i've created my own custom panel and i've also played with \"use signal names\" and \"use state variable names\" still no luck.
  • Options
    J.LuszczekJ.Luszczek Posts: 159
    I went around this problem by inserting an object that didn't preserve the original signal name into each signal path - like a simple 2x1 mixer. Then I named the mixer object what ever I needed it to be on Blu-10.
    Not very elegant, but effective. Just feed the same signal to both inputs on the mixer object and mute one of them. Leave everything else at unity.
  • Options
    Put in an audio coupler and type in the new signal names. That's what the audio coupler does.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.