Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion Soundweb Original
Options

Serial Control Confusion

Greetings Soundweb-lings!

I'm a little confused about the serial control-stuff of the back-port.

In the Serial SDK is written about a ACK- or NACK-Byte that should be sent out of the soundweb-device after recieving an command from an external controler (using RAW-Format).

In the real world there is no replay from the soundweb device at all. The Device does its job (switching and sliding ...), but it does not return any Ack/Nack, so I cannot monitor if the soundweb got the message or not.

Is that the \"cruel\" real life?
:lol:

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

If your Soundweb rear serial port is set up for external serial control, then the device works exactly as described by the SDK.

However, if the device is not set up for external serial control then the rear port is only used for control via Soundweb Designer (this is different to 3rd party serial control).

Read the part in the SDK about configuring the device for external control using '+s' and '+f' name suffixes....

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Martin
  • Options
    Hi Martin

the things with +s... is well known

but this does not change the behaviour od the Soundweb - it does not reply with akk/nak.

I monitored it with a RS232-Spy - no response, but the Soundweb does, what I should do: it moves the fader, switches the buttons, ...

???
  • Options
    Gentlemen,

I haven't a clue about ACK and NACK but I can tell you that some 3rd party (Crestron) control systems need what's called a \"string processor\" to work. I'm an old audio guy that doesn't know much about control systems but my SW designs have forced me to work with control system programmers.

Just a thought.

JV
  • Options
    Hey Wolfgang,

I know this is an old post, but it has yet to be resolved... :)

Soundweb always responds with an ACK upon receipt of a properly formatted command. Your Serial \"spy\" needs to have hex enabled to properly display the 0x06 return. Otherwise it can become filtered in ASCII land.

One issue that generally confuses new programmers is that Soundweb itself insists upon the same courtesy, and must also receive an acknowledgment upon your system receiving a properly formatted command/status update. Otherwise it will continue to send the command until acknowledged.

I would double check that you have copied the SOURCE object into your Serial Port window for the SW box you are connected to via serial.

For example, if you are using a button to control a mute, drag the actual mute switch to the Serial Port. I have never seen an exception when using this method.

Also, a really good idea in larger installations is to make good use of text fields in the Serial Port window, so that you don't have to rely on hex \"handles\" to identify specific controls.

Hope that helps, let me know if you're still having issues.
This discussion has been closed.