Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

How many volume controlled zones off of london?

I'd like to use the London equipment for a backstage and FOH paging system at our local theater. I was wondering how many \"volume controlled\" zones I can run off of one BLU-80/32? I'm looking for about 12 FOH zones and 18 backstage zones.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    scott180scott180 Posts: 80
    I'm not an expert, but here goes:

If you just have one page input, then you could have 28 separate analog outputs (zones) that the page could be routed to. (1 four ch input card and 7 output cards between the two BLU units)

Add cobranet output directly to cobranet equiped amplifiers, like CTs series from crown, and you could have another 60+ separate outputs (32 cobranet outputs per box but atleast one output would be used to transport the page mic from one box to the other)

Just my thoughts. Again, not an expert.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 4
    I'd like to place a volume knob in each of the zones. Aren't I limited by the number of control signals I can use for this?
  • Options
    rob birchrob birch Posts: 106
    Hi,

The answer is - 'As many as you want' It all depends on the design you put together.

Each BLU80 allows 32 cobranet channels to be output as well as 16 I/O cards in blocks of 4 (8x8,12x4,4x12)

So you can get one BLU80 16x0 and 2 BL32 0x16 to give you a matrix of 16x32. All DSP processing will be done within the BLU80 and then break out to the BLU32's. These will then connect to amplifiers over analogue.

The other option is to use the new BLU160 and 120 units that will allow a 128x128 way matrix if you need future expansion.

We have also done may designs using crown Cts 8200CN amplifiers that allow 200watts per circuit and you cobranet dirsctly from the BLU80 to the amplfiers.

From a design point of view, you need to think how the dressing rooms are zoned as well, we have done a similar installation where all the FOH were discreet zones using 2 Channel CTS amplifiers with CN cards and for back of house the areas were split into star dressing rooms, chorus dressing rooms, green room and public areas. This meant our channel count went from 32 down to 18 zones.
    This design also had front of house paging and Stage manager paging, and we used the 232 port on the BLU80 to trigger a sampler via a BLU10 for front of house calls.

Let me knowif you want me to PM the design to you to give you an idea of what can be achieved.

If you need a volume control in each area, then you have a couple of options. The first is to use BLU8 remotes, These sit on etherenet and you can use as many as you want on the design.

The other option is to use a standard 50k pot. You can attatch 12 per Soundweb DSP device, so if you use 3 units that is 36 volume controls.

Kind regards

Rob
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 4
    scott180,

Do you really need to use an output to get from one box to another? I thought these systems shared all inputs and outputs freely from one box to the next.
This discussion has been closed.