Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Venue Preset Problem

I'm working with a design that routes audio from a mixer into crossover and PEQ for a sound system. I then changed some routing to take four input into a automix block and then on through the crossover and PEQ.

I saved each as a Venue Preset by using the snapshot feature. When I recall the Venue Preset, nothing changes.

It's a pretty simple file so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. All I want to do is change the routing.

Any insights would be great.

Comments

• Options
    scott180scott180 Posts: 80
    I did things a different way by using a matrix router and a source selector. Is it possible to store and recall different routing pattern and \"device configurations\" or can you only recall settings of object blocks?
  • Options
    I thought I had this figured out.

In the downloadable training files, it uses the example of two venue presets, one using a standard mixer, and the other using an automixer. The processing block changes from one to the other as the different venue presets change.

That's pretty much exactly what I want to do. But for some reason, it's not recalling properly. I had a venue preset saved for both the external mixer based operation and one for an internal automix setting. I added a third with a simple four input manual mixer. When I tried to recall the venue preset with the automixer, the block just stayed as a manual mixer.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing....

Scott
  • Options
    rob birchrob birch Posts: 106
    I am unclear what you have set up in the design.

Set up one device configuration with the mixer.
    Then when in the device configuration window, right click on the device configuration name (default) and select 'add'. name a new device configuration (eg automix)
    Design the second device configuration you want to utilise.

You can now set up a venue preset that will recall either of the two device configurations.
    Each device configuration will require their own control pages, and settings, etc.
    Is that what you want to achieve?

PM me the design file if you want me to have alook and i can set this up for you if it helps.

Kind regards

Rob
  • Options
    rob birchrob birch Posts: 106
    Hi Scott,

Got your design thanks.
    So to recap

Set up one device configuration with the mixer.
    Then when in the device configuration window, right click on the device configuration name (default) and select 'add'. name a new device configuration (eg automix)
    Design the second device configuration you want to utilise.

Now place the device configuration that you want the first venue preset to recall into the device (eg default or automix)

Now go to the venue presets icon on the toolbar.
    select 'venue presets'
    Select 'New', create a name for the preset.
    Select the device you want the venue preset to relate to.
    Hit next.
    You will now see a table with the device you have selected
    Select 'snapshot'
    This will take a snapshot of the current device and store it as a venue preset.
    keep selecting next.

Go to the device configuration window, select a different configuration.
    repeat the above steps.

now when you recall the venue presets different device configurations are recalled.

Cheers

Rob
  • Options
    I was using the \"Edit Device Presets\" function, not the \"Device Configuration\" settings.

It would be nice if they hade a \"Copy Device Configuration\" button somewhere.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    \scott180\ wrote:
    It would be nice if they hade a \"Copy Device Configuration\" button somewhere.

All you have to do is create a blank config and then copy/paste your entire existing config into the new one. It's not a one-button operation, but still won't take more than 20 seconds to do.

The larger issue is that you're creating problems for yourself by using venue presets and different configurations. You're going to end up with a huge headache trying to get the parametric EQs and crossovers to have exactly the same settings between the two configs and then keeping them identical if/when somebody makes a change.

Your comments \"All I want to do is change the routing\" and \"Is it possible to store and recall different routing pattern\" are a dead giveaway that you should be using parameter presets rather than venue presets. Stick source selectors after the automixer, run the signals from your mixer into the same source selectors, and use parameter presets to switch the sources.

Dan

btw: You also should never have parametric EQs after a crossover (this sounds like what you're describing). Placing parametric EQs after a crossover just provides a way to create band spreading and completely defeat the limiters in the crossover. Use the inserts on the crossover to place the parametric EQs before the crossover and you'll have a much cleaner and safer system.
  • Options
    I'll work through it with parameter presets. That will help the other issue that would be a problem with venue presets. switching the presets back and forth would not allow settings in a mixer to stay put through switching to a different configuration. It would always go back to the default, which isn't what I'm looking for.

I do have parametrics after the crossover but those are the blocks that were put there in the tunings file for the VRX speakers.

The parametrics for system tuning are before the crossovers.

Scott
  • Options
    In this design, I have the crossovers followed by the PEQ settings from JBL (as per their file).

The problem is that it's setup for a Bi-amp situation where the amplifiers being used have the same voltage gain. Since I'm using a CTs 3000 for the lows and a 4200 for the Hi's my voltage gain is 11dB different.

The PEQ for the Hi's as set up by JBL are generally knocking out a lot of level. But the overall curve will change if I just boost stuff 11dB. If I boost the gain in the crossover 11dB that will change the crossover point and mess that up.

Should I just chuck the JBL settings and Smaart the room of is there a better way to do that in London? I thought of putting a gain stage after the crossover and before the PEQ, but I was worried about overloading that block.

Suggestions?

Scott
This discussion has been closed.