Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Multiple BLU-80, Multiple PCs

I know that I can run multiple BLU-80s each with their own PC and connect the audio via cobranet. This will work if the blu-80s are on different networks. What will happen if the blu-80s are on the same network? Only one blu-80 will be assigned to each pc, and no controls will be linked between the blu-80s. The reson I would like to have everything on the same network, is that the touch screens which control each blu-80 also need to display web pages that are generated within the customer facility. There is no internet connect.

Comments

• Options
    As long as there are no instances where any given BLU device is included in two design files, then there should be no problems.

Is there any reason why you're creating multiple design files on the same network?
  • Options
    HannaleeHannalee Posts: 56
    The reason is that there are a few ip cameras located around the customer facility. There is NO internet access. The customer wants to be able to view the ip cameras from either of the touch screens. One will be in a DJ booth, the other will be for FOH. The reason for this is to allow 2 active touch screen monitors to control the entire system. There will be rare occurances when there will be room combining that will require both blu-80s to be in the same design. In that case, 1 pc will have to be locked out, I expect to do that by interlocking the power supply of an ethernet switch to the logic output on on of the blu-80s.
  • Options
    rob birchrob birch Posts: 106
    Does the camera program use an IP address. If so set up LA with a control page that has a web page. In the properties window, select the web camera IP address.

Rob
  • Options
    That is exactly what I am doing. All the cameras as well as all the BLU-80s, and now blu-8s will be on the same physical network. The ip cameras have internal servers which will be accessed via a webpage on a custom control panel.
  • Options
    so why can't you have all the BLU80s in one design?
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    You're making things incredibly complex for yourself for absolutely no reason.

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood Martin's question several days ago. When he asked,
    \"Is there any reason why you're creating multiple design files on the same network?\",
    it seems that you read
    \"Is there any reason why you're creating multiple design files on the same network rather than multiple networks?\"
    I'm sure he'll gleefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet drinks that he meant,
    \"Is there any reason why you're creating multiple design files on the same network rather than just using one design file?\"

All of your problems and complications seem to be stemming from the decision to have two different design files.

http://www.bssaudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61

Dan
  • Options
    No beer owed this time Dan, that's what I meant;

\"Is there any reason why you're creating multiple design files on the same network rather than just using one design file?\"

Unless there's something you're not telling us about the user control requirements then it seems you're generating some serious headaches for yourself.

This is the bit that worries me the most;

\"... will require both blu-80s to be in the same design. In that case, 1 pc will have to be locked out, I expect to do that by interlocking the power supply of an ethernet switch to the logic output on on of the blu-80s.\"

My head hurts....

No criticism intended Hannalee, we'd all like to help you make this system work. If you'd like I'd be happy to help further, just PM me.

Martin
  • Options
    The reason is that the customer wants to do a foh mix and monitor mixes from seperate locations on PCs ( laptops ) and not use a REAL mixing surface. Therefore, since LA will only allow one PC to control a given blu-80 at a time.

These mixes will be feed via cobranet from the rack. Since we have the hardware, I planned on assigning a blu-80 to each of these mixes. They will send and receive audio via cobranet. This way I can have multiple pcs control various parts of the system at the same time. I undersatnd that I will not be able to dirrectly pass controls, although I think I have a way worked out to do it with the serial port.

Yes it is harder than it needs to be, but that is what the customer wants, and it is his dime.

Yes, he should just buy a board/desk that supports cobranet, as mixing on a pc/touch screen is sub-ideal.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    since LA will only allow one PC to control a given blu-80 at a time

Not at all true. It's a non-supported feature, which means it works but there are ways you can goof it up. It's ridiculously simple to make it work properly and safely.

Do it the easy way and charge the customer the same amount. Less work, same pay.

Dan
  • Options
    Yes Dan, I know that if I have multiple PC running the same design file, it will work. I also know that in the past you have not wanted to talk about it as it was an unsuported \"feature\".

BTW, if I do talk him into a small cobra-net board, and if I am going to stay within the harmon group, which ones do you like?
  • Options
    umm... it's an unsupported feature, but I've talked about it at length! I not only talked about it, I gave a step-by-step explanation of how to do it. I might never get it to become a supported feature, but that doesn't change the fact that it's absolutely the correct way to do many systems. http://www.bssaudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61

My personal favorite console from a Harman company? That's easy. Soundweb London devices with custom control panels on LCD touchscreens. Eric Laliberte has been using Soundweb London devices as a monitor console for Diana Krall for over three years and is still cruising along. I think Eric is still using his laptop to control the system (maybe he'll speak up and let us know), but I've always had this vision of three 17\" touchscreens laid out as a console. I love it. There are so many cool things you can do with sub-pages. Especially when you consider how easy it becomes to have different control panels for different levels of user ability. You can create a very simple mixer surface for a novice user and have full-featured mixers for advanced users.

Dan
  • Options
    Didn't you find the single touch of the touch screens a limiting factor? Sure selectivly linking faders might help, but it is still not the same thing as having a real ( physical ) surface.
  • Options
    Virtual is definitely not the same thing as a console, but that doesn't bother me because the trade-offs are worth it to me. I'm giving up the ability to drag multiple faders on a console at once, but when do I really need to do that other than when I've done a bad job of setting up my sub-groups or my VCA groups? Using either PC Control Groups or simple multi-faders, I can create pretty much any sort of whacky grouping that I could ever imagine, so it's possible to create a lot of \"default\" groupings that work pretty darned well. This is especially true with the big heaping piles of DSP power in the 160. You don't even really need to pretend to be efficient now when designing. Just throw in the kitchen sink and start rollin'.

On the other hand, the benefits of a virtual console are almost impossible to fully list. Fully configurable, obviously, but also the ability to tailor the way that the console and the outboard gear work together as well as creating interactions between the console and the drive train that were never possible before. You can start with an example as silly as having the master fader on the console actually control the power amp master volumes and go crazy from there.

How about all of the groovy studio tricks that were never possible/affordable live? Putting a 4-band EQ and a comp on a vocal channel is boring and standard, but what having the ability to choose whether each of those EQ bands is pre or post comp? Or just have a completely different 4-band EQ feeding the sidechain of the comp?

Or put a 1ms delay on every channel and use that as your time baseline. It's the same psychoaccoustic result as moving the speakers 1 foot further from the audience, so who cares? But then you can play all sorts of games with those signals. Use the pre-delay signals on all of your drum mics to feed the sidechains on the noise gates for each of those channels and set the attack times for 1ms. Now those gates will start to open 1ms \"before\" the drum is struck and they'll be fully open exactly when the first impulse of the drum hit arrives.

One of my favorite tricks is something that I also noticed Eric does with his file; storing presets for different equipment and situations. If you have 4 different models of monitor cabinets that you usually use, EQ them once and then be able to recall those settings every time you use that gear.

What about EQ presets on individual channel strips? I usually cheat and don't use real presets. For example, if the guitar player has 3 wildly different tones that he uses, I'll create three identical signal paths (channels basically) and set them up so that he only goes through one of them at a time. Then program the control panel so that I only see the one that is currently \"on\". Flip to the grunge channel and the EQ that I last used for his grunge setting is there. Flip to the clean channel, and there's the EQ that I last used for that. etc, etc, etc. With a 160, you can setup a three-way flip like this for every channel and not even be at 50% DSP usage. That's mixing to stereo with only 8 mono and 4 stereo aux sends. You might want more.

No point in beating that dead horse any more. There are literally hundreds of other cool tricks.

Of course, if you really want to go for it, you won't be buying touchscreens or any sort of normal LCD. Get the high-res version of the Sony Glasstron virtual reality glasses, a head tracking system to pan your virtual console in front of you when you turn your head, and a pair of digitizers for your hands.

If you're gonna go virtual, might as well do it right.

Dan
  • Options
    Dan, you get the geek of the week (or decade) Award

Good work fella

Rob
  • Options
    Dan,
    Never though of this:

Or put a 1ms delay on every channel and use that as your time baseline. It's the same psychoaccoustic result as moving the speakers 1 foot further from the audience, so who cares? But then you can play all sorts of games with those signals. Use the pre-delay signals on all of your drum mics to feed the sidechains on the noise gates for each of those channels and set the attack times for 1ms. Now those gates will start to open 1ms \"before\" the drum is struck and they'll be fully open exactly when the first impulse of the drum hit arrives.

Really cool...
This discussion has been closed.