Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Direct outs on automixer

In what way (if at all) are the optional direct outs on the automixer processed? Are they subject to the gating and/or gain sharing the automixer imposes on the components of the mixed output? That is, If a particular mic is not \"open\", will the direct output of that mic also be not open (effectively muted)? If a several mics are open and are thus sharing gain, will their individual direct out levels be reduced as well?

If this has been covered elsewhere, my apologies.

--Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Scott E.Scott E. Posts: 31
    The direct out are post gain-sharing. Which means the output levels are reduced depending on the number, and level, of other contributing mics. The direct out will contain the portion (level) of that channels contributing signal to the mix.

It was designed this way so that the direct outs could be routed to a Matrix Router for easy implementation of Mix-Minus systems.
  • Options
    kirchhkirchh Posts: 18
    Thanks for the swift reply! I hope at some point this sort of information is added to the reference docs so I don't have to pester you folks...

--Daniel
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    From the help file:

Direct Outs:
    In addition to a single mixed output, the individual automixed channels may be output for further processing or mixing elsewhere. These outputs are fed directly from the automix logic per channel. Set to Yes if Direct outputs are required.

Dan
  • Options
    Thanks! I wasn't positive from that wording whether both gain-sharing and closing of mics was reflected in the direct outs.

--Daniel
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    The wording probably seems odd partially because you think the mics are muted at some point. They're not. The mics aren't ever actually closed. They just don't have any gain applied to them when not in use. Not much functionally, but conceptually it's very different.

Dan
  • Options
    I didn't think the mics were muted, but rather that they were inactive/idle/off.
    The mics aren't ever actually closed. They just don't have any gain applied to them when not in use. Not much functionally, but conceptually it's very different.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean that the inactive mics \"don't have any gain applied to them\". My understanding is that inactive mics have a settable gain applied to them.

--Daniel
This discussion has been closed.