Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Wireless safety tip

I've used many different wireless routers with London Architect and Soundweb London and I've never had any problem connecting to the devices. Linksys has changed that with one of their new product lines.

Every major manufacturer has a product which is a router with:
* 1x ethernet port labeled \"Internet\" or \"to Modem\"
* 4x ethernet ports labeled \"LAN\" or \"Wired computers\"
* 802.11 wireless access point of some flavor

I have devices like this from Actiontec, Netgear, Belkin, and 2wire sitting in my office right now. In every case, the \"LAN\" ports and the wireless access point have been on one side of the router while the \"Internet\" connection is on the other side of the router. A customer problem with the Linksys WRT-110 has revealed that it has a router between the \"LAN\" ports and the wireless access point. What this means is that you have to use Static Routes if your computer is connected via wireless and your Soundweb London device is wired with this Linksys router.

This is made even weirder by the fact that a single DHCP server seems to be servicing both the wired and wireless ports. The customer had DHCP assigned IP addresses of 192.168.1.251 for the laptop and 192.168.1.1 for the BLU-160 and London Architect was unable to see the device. As soon as 192.168.1.1 was added to Static Routes in London Architect, the BLU-160 popped up in the Network window.

I'm sure there's a really logical and useful reason for Linksys making this change, but it can cause problems if you're not aware of it and don't realize how simple it is to fix.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.