Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Automixer Questions

There has been some confusion regarding the automixer lately, so I thought I'd address multiple issues in one posting.

Before we worry about the questions, let's look at how the automixer actually works. The automixer processing object splits each input signal into the \"A\" signal and the \"T\" signal and routes them to different places. If the AUTO button for a channel is on, the \"A\" signal is routed through the gain sharing algorithm to have its amplitude modified and then is routed to the manual mixer which feeds the mix output and the direct outputs. The \"T\" signal is routed to the threshold detection portion of the processing object and is used to determine how much gain should be allocated to the \"A signal of that channel. If the AUTO button is off, then the \"A\" signal skips the gain sharing algorithm and goes directly to the manual mixer. The \"T\" signal is ignored completely.

QUESTION: What does the O/Ride button do?

ANSWER: The OverRide button increases the level of the \"T\" signal by 12dB and turns on that channel's ON led. With a 12dB boost on the \"T\" signal, that channel becomes the 800lb gorilla and wins most of the available gain. Since most of the available gain is assigned to that channel, it overrides the other channels. It's the same as reducing all of the other channels by 12dB relative to the OverRide channel.

* The OverRide button does not turn off the automix function.

* The OverRide button does not increase the gain of the \"A\" signal and will not cause feedback. If a single channel or multiple channels produce no feedback when used alone without OverRide, they will produce no feedback when OverRide is turned on.

QUESTION: \"When applying voice band filter to an automixer, does the filter affect channels of the automixer that are set as 'non-automix' channels? My application is a choir on all channels but 1 in an automixer. The piano is on the other. I do not want to voice band filter the piano.\"

ANSWER: The voiceband filter is applied only to the \"T\" signal and has absolutely no effect on the \"A\" signal regardless of any other control settings. The Automixer processing object will never change the tonality or frequency response of any signal.

* An automixer on a choir is a very bad idea. Whichever mic is receiving the loudest signal will receive the majority of the gain. This will make any volume imbalance between members of the choir worse rather than fixing it.

Dan