Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Device Discovery

Is the device discovery protocol published anywhere?

I have a situation where I don't control the network, and due to the network topology, I can't just assign a private IP address outside of the DHCP assignment range (a couple of managed switches configured to block addresses outside the DHCP range are involved)

IT doesn't want me to have the devices on the network to begin with, so I can't just go to them and ask for 6 static IPs, either.

The reason I need to discover the IP addresses of my Londons is because I have written a utility that uses HiQnet to monitor a couple of critical functions. As long as the IP address doesn't change, it works fine, and I have a provision within the program to change the IP address it connects to, but I would really rather not have to have my end user have to go to the physical device and get the IP address off it, when I know there exists a mechanism to discover it.

So, if there is documentation somewhere, or if someone has done this and is willing to share, then I would be very appreciative.

TIA

mike