Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

CTS 4200 USP/CN

I see the CTS 4200 amplifier in London Architect, but not the CTS 4200 USP/CN. Is this available?

-- Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    Nope. Crown won't allow it.

Dan
  • Options
    Hmm, this isn't exactly what I hoped for!

Currently, we are trying to migrate a solution based upon PS8810 to BLU series and have developed libraries based upon UDP-IQ Network Control Protocol. We are doing this because we were informed that the PS8810 will no longer be avaiable.

Our solution was homogeneous based upon IQWic for configuration and our libraries using UDP-IQ for monitoring and integration into our application. We used the OIF files for identification of controls that we monitored, etc.

Now, it looks as if we have to use London Architect for configuration of some of the components, e.g. BLU-80 and possibly System Architect and/or IQWic for others? Also, it looks as if we'll need to monitor BSS based equipment using the new Soundweb London Interface Kit and the UDP-IQ Network Control for Crown, etc.

Forgive me for saying, but this really stinks as now I have to learn multiple environments, tools and getting them all to work together will be difficult, cumbersome and more time consuming!

It appears that the System Architect has the CTs 4200 USP/CN, but that application looks more like the old Soundweb designer and just recently added compatibility modes with London Architect.

Can I assume that somewhere in all this that Harmon Pro has a grand plan to create a ubiquitous solution?

Jeff

Software Junkie
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 37
    I think it's safe to assume there is indeed a \"grand plan\"!

Meanwhile, it's not as bad as you may first think. Yes, you need to configure the BLU boxes with London Architect (LA), and you need to configure the amps with System Architect (SA).

Once this is done you can easily copy controls from LA and paste them onto a custom control panel in SA. Once setup, the only software you need for control and monitoring of both the BLUs and the amps is SA.

Regarding IQwiq... just use SA instead, that's where the future will be.

/Chris
  • Options
    Thanks Chris, but I think the Grand plan is missing a piece that is a ominpresent API for which external control/monitoring could be performed. After all, they all belong to the HiQNet environment, shouldn't
    they all use a standard external API approach? At least to me it appears they do only internally, but externally for integrators the have separate APIs.

My understanding is that I will still need to use the UDP-IQ Network Control protocol along with Soundweb London Interface Kit protocol to monitor elements from both environments.

You have to understand my frustration stems from what I have already developed for Harmon based products:

Past Work
    =======
    1. Developed UCODE serial interface for USM810
    2. Developed Soundweb Serial interface for BSS green series devices
    3. Developed UDP-IQ Network Control Protocol for Crown CTs 4200 USP/CN and PS8810 device.

Now Future Work
    ===========
    4. Need to develop Soundweb London Interface for BSS BLU series
    5. Need to develop solution via London Architect for BLU equipment.
    6. Need to configure Crown CTs 4200, etc via System Architect and
    import design from LA to SA.

Is there a external API to SA for peering into an operational system?
    Keep in mind that our application is trying to monitor equipment for failure and incorporate that information into a single turnkey solution.

Regards,

Jeff
  • Options
    The Crown 4200 and 8200 (or any HiQnet compatible amplifier eg: I-Tech, CTs, etc) need to be set up using System Architect. Once this is done, you can use London Architect to monitor the amps using the following Logic objects:
    Device Monitor - This informs you when the amp goes offline and online.
    Event Log Monitor - This allows you to monitor 18 different types of faults/events on each amplifier.

Used in combination, these provide extensive, real-time fault monitoring which is currently used in many installations and contributes to realizing a life-safety compliant system. (A London Architect system with Crown amplifiers can be programmed to monitor audio lines from microphone to speaker, making it compliant with most building standards.) This also allows you to integrate the amplifier monitoring into your London Architect Logic design, avoiding having to use other applications, and providing proper integration with the Soundweb audio system.

You can also trigger Venue Presets in the Crown amplifiers (which can in turn trigger Crown Device Presets) from London Architect and/or from a Soundweb London BLU device.
  • Options
    jinsonicjinsonic Posts: 3
    I am curious how to trigger venue preset of Crown Amplifier from London Architect. I think I can make device monitor and event log monitor to monitoring Crown Amplifiers but venue preset... I need little more help.

By the way, I tried device monitor and it doesn't give me a option to connect to amplifiers other than PIP Lite, USP3, USP3/CN... Is there any other ways to do this?
  • Options
    By default London Architect only talks to devices that are in the design, simly put. To be able to send Venue Recalls to deveces that are not in the design (such as CTs 4200 USP/CN or any other HiQnet device) you need to change the following:
    Tools - Application Preferences - HiQnet - LA Preset Recall Method: Set to broadcast.
    Only use this function if necessary.

The Device Monitor will monitor any HiQnet device. In the Device Monitor properties, change \"Use Device Name\" to \"No\" and type in the HiQnet node address of the device you wish to monitor instead.
    Note that the Device Monitor only monitor that the device is alive, not the status of specific parameters. For that you may use the Event Log Monitor. Read the help file for more info on that.

/Chris
  • Options
    Chris, you are partly correct, but not entirely.
    The \"Broadcast\" setting in the \"LA Preset Recall Method\" field only applies to Venue Preset recalls from LA. It does NOT apply to the BLU devices. If the PC running LA is offline, then that setting does not affect anything.
    As it stands you can recall Venue Presets on ANY HiQnet device from either 1) the PC running LA or 2) from a BLU device.
    If you wish to recall Venue Presets from a BLU device, you simply have to add a HiQNet Node object into your design. Set the Node address in the Properties, and voila! The BLU device can now send out a Venue Preset Recall message to the HiQnet device. For more information please look at the Venue Presets section of the LA help file. (This feature was introduced in V2.02)
    If you wish to recall Venue Presets from the PC running LA, then as you correctly stated, you need to set the Recall Method to \"Broadcast\".
  • Options
    jinsonicjinsonic Posts: 3
    Thanks, Chris and Jerome.

Quick question about HiQnet object. I put PIP Lite in my design and tried to change HiQnet Address. It didn't work. HiQnet Address is grey out. Is there another way to do it? What exactly HiQnet Object means?

Thanks,
    Jae-Jin (Jacob) Park, CTS
  • Options
    You cannot change the HiQnet Node Address of a PiP card from London Architect. As soon as you go online, the HiQnet Node address of the device on the network will update the Node Address in the design. HiQnet Node addresses are best left alone and do not need to be changed. If you really need to, you can use System Architect to change them.

The HiQnet Node object allows the Soundweb hardware to send Venue Preset recall messages to HiQnet devices on the network. For example, if you had a Crown i-Tech amp on your network, you could recall Venue Presets on it by adding a HiQnet Node object into your London Architect design, and setting it's Node Address to the one used by the I-Tech amp. Thanks to the HiQnet Node object, the Soundweb hardware knows where to send the Venue Recall message. If you didn't have the HiQnet Node object in your design, the Soundweb hardware would not know where to send the Venue Preset recall message. There is more information in the Help File.
  • Options
    Thanks Jerome. I had missed the addition of a HiQnet Node Object.

Just to clarify... by adding the HiQnet Node Object to the design, does that also tell London Architect to send Preset Recalls to that node? (When using LA as system controller)
    Or does the Node Object only tell the BLU- network devices to send recalls to that node?

/Chris
  • Options
    Yes, by adding the HiQnet Node objet into the design, LA will be able to send Venue Preset recalls to that node directly.
    This means that you can leave the Tools - Application Preferences - HiQnet - LA Preset Recall Method set to \"Default\".