Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion Soundweb Original
Options

9088 dead

I just got a ten years old 9088. I plugged it into main power but nothing is happening. No LED active at all, fan not running, no noise at all.
Looks like the unit is not getting any power but power cable is ok. Main fuse and the fuse on the board are ok either.
Any idea where to look for the problem? It really looks like a failure of the power supply to me.
Thanks for any help.
Dirk

Comments

• Options
    weasthamweastham Posts: 22
    Old power supplies in the 9088 were never a strong point in the design, we have had several expire, you need to find a dealer or buy a new supply and install it yourself.
  • Options
    dirkdirk Posts: 5
    Mhmm - but the power supply is on the main board ... is there any chance to get a circuit diagram? That would help tremendously to identify the problem.
  • Options
    GeorgeMGeorgeM Posts: 12
    This problem is more than likley being caused by the failure of C60. This lives near the fuse holder on the back of the PCB. Change this first but don't put the same cap value as before. Change it to a 47uF 63V. While you are there, also change C216, this is a 470uF 25V sits between the PSU transformer and the 5V Fuse holder. Just replace it with the same value.

George.
  • Options
    Hi George,
    thanks for your info - I will do would you suggested.

When looking at the board under full light I saw that R1696 and R197 seem to be burnt (beeing black in the middle).
    I read them as 1 Ohm 1/w resistors 5% tolerance - right?
    (brown - black - gold - gold)
    Measuring shows infinite resistence.

Is that something which fits to a dead C60 or is it more likely that this indicates a different problem?

Thanks for your help!

Dirk
  • Options
    GeorgeMGeorgeM Posts: 12
    If those 2 resistors are burnt, they should read as .5ohm as they are 2 X 1ohm in parallel, your PSU is in need of great attention, quite a few of the components in that part of the PSU will need to be replaced. At least the clock chip, the 2 X opto isolators, the big T0220 transistor. Some other diodes and resistors may also need to be replaced, you need to test all of them.
    George.
  • Options
    Hi George,
    thanks for the info - will check the components you mentioned and see how it goes.
    Thanks again.

Dirk
This discussion has been closed.