Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion Omnidrive/Minidrive
Options

Controlling Multiple FDS-366 with RS-485

Has anyone successfully controlled multiple Omnidrives with RS-485 using either Soundbench 2 or London architect software?

I can currently control an FDS-366 using RS-232 with an XTA recommended USB to RS-232 adapter. But on many occasions I need to control multiple units at the same time which requires a RS-485 based multidrop network.

I have followed the instructions according to the FDS-366 manual and have been unsuccessful. I even bought the recommended RS-232 to RS-485 adapter specified in the manual.

Is it possible I need to change any serial port settings such as baud rate?

If anyone has any tips on something I should try please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    SB2 and London Architect do not support control of the FDS devices via RS-485.

In order to control multiple FDS devices using these software apps you will need individual RS-232 connections to each device. This is very easy using some of the multi-port Ethernet to RS-232 serial servers from companies like Moxa.

Hope this helps.

Martin
  • Options
    lokiburnlokiburn Posts: 8
    Thats cool, I didn't know about the moxa thing. so in this case you just set both omnidrives to pc port? I have been running a midi chain off the one talking to my serial port, which works fine under 50'
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    \lokiburn\ wrote:
    so in this case you just set both omnidrives to pc port?

Correct. The Moxa devices just give your computer more serial ports. Enable those ports in London Architect and connect one port to each omnidrive.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.