Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion Soundweb Original
Options

REMOTE ACCESS USING MODEM

I have read the instructions for \"remote access using a modem\" in the Soundweb master document but it still remains unclear. Can I use the modem card inside the desktop computer that Soundweb Designer is on?
Can I use a telephone interface like a Gentner or Telos One?
Why can't I connect through an already established internet connection?
Could you provide details on exact equipment and cables needed?
Thanks,
mike

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 37
    You have to remember that Soundweb 9088 was concieved in the mid 90's, when you commonly accessed internet through a dial up modem.

The modem support means you can connect a stand alone modem (if you can find one today. Do you remember US Robotics?) to the Soundweb serial port, and connect it to a regular telephone line.

From your office (or vacation home :P ) you use your computers modem to dial-in to the Soundweb system. Then you have remote access.

Today there are other alternatives with ethernet based serial servers (such as Moxa N-Port Express DE-311 or similar). These are placed on the remote netvork, providing a serial port you can use to connect to the Soundweb.

Cheers
    Chris
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    Forget about remote access via modem. It never worked easily or reliably and has been abandoned for over 5 years. It was left in Soundweb Designer v1.50 because in 2004 there was still one user known to be using it.

Dan
  • Options
    If you have a computer hooked up to your SoundWeb box/system, there are several \"free\" software programs available on the internet to remotely access your computer from any other device connected to the internet, which you could then use to control your SoundWeb software/system.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I have already used Huey remote control software, to do a remote control of a PC with Soundweb and other programs. And I was looking at the Moxa device.
    No one really answered my questions though.
    I don't understand why connecting through a modem is even in the Soundweb documentation if it doesn't work well and there is only one guy using it. Sorry for the rant and thanks again.
    mike
  • Options
    Rant all ya want. It's good for the digestion.

If the modem option were removed from the documentation there would be an undocumented option under properties. If the option were removed from properties, that would make life a bit rough for the one person who is known to be using it and any others who are also using it. It's really no different than the Network Selector processing object. The Network Selector is a worthless processing object because its functionality has been incorporated natively into the Soundweb network which means there's never any need to use it. However, if it were taken out, it would cause immediate problems for every user who has an old design file which uses the Network Selector.

To see the much larger reason, click on HELP/ABOUT:
    Soundweb Designer Version 1.50 (Build 68)
    Copyright (c) 1998-2004 BSS Audio

Version 1.50 is from 2004. There has not been and never will be another update of Soundweb Designer, the help file, or the Soundweb master document. It's done. In 2004, there was still at least one place on the planet where you could buy a modem that would work with Soundweb.

Yes, that does also mean we're stuck with the rotating spiderman logo forever.

Dan
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 37
    I think we did answer your qestions;

Can I use the modem card inside the desktop computer that Soundweb Designer is on? -Yes, if you intendent using a modem on the 9088. But there are bettet ways of achieving remote access!

Can I use a telephone interface like a Gentner or Telos One? -No! Not for remote access.

Why can't I connect through an already established internet connection? -Of course you can. Who said you can't?

Could you provide details on exact equipment and cables needed? That depends on what you want to achieve and which method you choose.

Cheers
    Chris
  • Options
    Dan, Yes that makes perfect sense, I just wish that could be added to the documentation. I first used Soundweb in 2000 and the \"installation guide\" I had was not very detailed. All things considered the Soundweb has proved itself superior to other products over the years.
    Chris, No I don't think you did answer my questions ;-).
    What I meant by \"exact equipment and cables needed\" was the exact model of telephone modem and exact type of cable needed to interface with the 9-pin serial port on Soundweb. I am assuming this is a 9-pin to 9-pin serial cable. Does the modem have a telephone RJ-11 and a 9-pin serial port?
    I am not familiar with telephone modems other than the one in my PC.
    And while I know that there are better ways to remotely connect to a PC, I find it interesting to know how things work.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    Hi Mike,

Is the issue that you need to connect to a soundweb green network remotely? regarding the modem connection, there are much better ways to connect to a green system remotely. As Dan said this feature was a lot more relevant in the mid 90's and technology has moved on.

Back in the day, you could get a modem that had a 232 d-sub. This would connect to the soundweb at 56kbps. You would then plug the modem into the phone line.

You would need the same set up in you remote location, except it would go from the soundweb designer PC to the serial input on the modem, then to the phone line.

Cabling pin out of the serial cable would be as per the help file (look under 232 or modem)

As it is highly unlikely that you can still get the hardware for this feature, and there are a number of much better technologies available now to connect via remote to soundweb green over ethernet.

If the issue is that you want to connect from a remote location, then the easiest way is to have a local PC and use something like PC anywhere to make your connection, and the remote computer controls the local control computer.

There are a number of other good suggestions already posted here, so i will not repeat them.

Thanks

Rob
  • Options
    Rob,
    As I said in my last post \"And while I know that there are better ways to remotely connect to a PC, I find it interesting to know how things work.\"
    I have been using this program called Huey remote control that works pretty good. I guess I was more curious than anything on how to connect with a modem. Thanks for the explanation of how the modem worked \"back in the day\".
    Regards,
    Mike
This discussion has been closed.