Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Logic output for triggering 24vdc relay and denon cd player

Hello ther
I need the logic outputs on a BLU 800 to trigger 2 things and i am kind of rookie into the electronic component world so i need some help.
I know that the logic ports delivers 5v 10 ma.
First i need to trigger a chain of 24v dc relays in some speakers. what do i need for that.
Then i need to trigger a play button on a cd.
On the cd this is done by shortcutting 2 pins on a 25 dsub connector.
Can i some way connect it directly or do i need a relay and if so what kind of relay do i need.
I have tried with a 5 vdc relay but it could not be triggered even not using 4 ports as described in the installation guide.
best regards
Jonas

Comments

• Options
    You can use the logic control ports to create a 'sink' circuit.
    You need
    a 12v 1 amp power supply
    some 12v relays
    A 24 V powersupply

on the 12v power supply wire the VCC to the - of the relay.
    take the VEE and wire it to the 'C' (common) on the soundweb control port
    take whichever pin is triggering the relay (lets say pin 1) and wire it to the + of the relay.
    place a logic source on the control port to act as your 'switch'
    So now when you press the logic source the control port will open and
    complete the circuit between the powersupply and the relay.
    I would make sure there is a diode between the + and - of the relay input to stop any potential of shorting out the 12 powersupply,

Wire your 24v power supply across the outputs of the relay.

You can use a 24v circuit if you prefer. you can sink up to 60ma.

check this link out

http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddkdp8gs_0hmn6g6zk

[/url]
  • Options
    jonassjonass Posts: 15
    8) Thank you very much i appreciate it.
  • Options
    Far easier way.

Solid state relays directly triggered from the control ports.

Just need a 24V power supply for the secondary of the Solid state relays then.

They will directly trigger the relays in your speakers.

To switch the CD player, just stick a 24 relay after the solid state relay.

I have a BLU 160 sequentially turning on a rack full of amplifiers through this method.

The following parts from RS components may be of interest.

613-8123

348-431

241-3975
  • Options
    jonassjonass Posts: 15
    Hello Joules
    I just want to say thank you especially about the rs numbers- they really helped, i know its a long time a go but thank you anyway it is now working great and we are thinking of triggering other things.
    Best regards Jonas
  • Options
    dsjordandsjordan Posts: 1
    These Crydom relays (MPDCD3) can be triggered directly from a logic port? (ie - BSS c wired directly to pin 4 (-dc control)) and BSS logic out 1 directly to pin 3 (+dc control))

If this is the case, why does BSS docs show you need to use 4 outputs simultaneously to trigger a reed relay?

thanks!
  • Options
    Scott E.Scott E. Posts: 31
    The help docs show that a logic output used in SOURCE mode can provide +5VDC @ 10mA. That means the logic outs can be used to drive an LED without needing to provide an external power supply and/or limiting resistor. The relay example is showing that a \"typical\" relay coil needs 40mA of current. So if you don't happen to have an external power supply on site you can tie 4 logic outputs to provide enough current to activate the relay coil. If your Reed relay coil can operate at +5VDC @ <10mA then only one logic output is needed.

An often overlooked feature of the Logic Output control port is the SINK mode. This allows you to drive any relay coil up to +30VDC and 60mA using one logic output port. This requires that you provide your own external power supply that meets the relay coil requirements (i.e. 24VDC coil, +24 external power supply). Wire the external power supply to the relay coil and to the output port via a standard open-collector circuit (type in Logic Outputs in the Search of LA help and you will find an example diagram). The SINK functionality is automatically selected when the logic output pin \"sees\" over +6VDC on the logic ouput pin. NOTE: do not use SINK mode with an LED. The unique SOURCE/SINK auto-detection circuit will \"leak\" a tiny amount of current and so an LED will be very dimly lit even when the output port is off.
This discussion has been closed.