Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion Soundweb Original
Options

Dead 9088ii, hints on debugging/fixing?

Hi forum!

I just got my hands of two Soundweb units, one 9088 and one 9088ii.
The 9088 seems to work fine, after pluggin in the power I hear a few relay clicks and LEDs flashing and so on. I tried a nullmodem cable on the back, and I get Soundweb Designer up n running. I then built myself a cable for the front, according to the specs in the docs (http://www.bssaudio.com/product_downloads/User_Manuals/Soundweb_9088_Install_Guide.pdf). Seems to work fine with the 9088, at least in designer, the program loader doesn't wanna play though.. Problem with cable, or loader? Tried all combinations of settings.. Just says \"Device not responding\" as if it wasn't plugged in at all.

Anyway, my main problem.. The 9088ii is a bit sadder.. When plugging in power, I only get the power LED. Except some brief flashes on the SIGNAL LEDs on boot, there is no activity on any of the other LEDs whatsoever.
I've tried to get it connected using the back RS232 connector, the front RS232 using my cable mentioned above. No success, not finding it in neither Designer nor the loader.
I also tried connecting the two boxes in a network (9088 out to 9088ii in), and via the working 9088 access the 9088ii, but no success.

I've browser around the forums here trying to get a clue about what it could be. There is no flashing LEDs either on the front or on the board (I see several of them there, and on the 9088 they are flashing). So no LEDs running from one side to the other, which seem to be indicating bad firmware according to forum posts?

Also tried the debug jumper, without any result. Still only gives me power LED and the signal LEDs on boot.

I did some measuring on the \"measuring points\" near the PSU. However, I'm not too confident about my voltmeter, cheap thing... Anyway, here are the results:

VP8 (+5VDC) and GND measures 4.4V
VP4 (+VA) and GND measures 17.4V
VP3 (+15V) and GND measures 16.4V
VP5 (+8VA) and GND measures 0 (is this correct? however, it does the same on the working 9088)
VP6 (+5VA) and GND measures 4.4V

Those where the ones I saw. Same values regardless if GND was VP10 DGND, VP9 AGND or VP11 DGND.

Now, one odd thing happened between reboots (power cycling). The unit had been powered off for half an hour or so, and I plugged it in to do the above measurements while writing this post. The Sync LED and all network LEDs got steady lit until I pulled the power again (Clip red, Master yellow, sync red+green, activity yellow+red). When I plugged power back in, I never got them to lit again.. This was with the debug pins shorted. Tried without them and with them shorted, never got them to lit again.

The fan seems quite dead from tear, it almost cannot get running, needs some help but then it runs fine. The above measurements have been done without the fan plugged in. However, I tried to plug the fan from the working unit in, and that one spins fine, but still no working unit (just tried, in case of some clever \"fan dead\" protection circuit)

So.. Anyone got any clues? I'd love to get this other unit running and be able to network them both, if I can do it myself (changing passive components or whatever). Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
Johan

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 37
    Hi Johan

Without thinking too much of your fault description, my first recommendation is always to change the capacitors in the power supply. Replace with capacitors of the same capacitance and minimum the same voltage. Preferrably use \"low esr\" types.

It's a fairly easy operation and helps 90% of all times.

/Chris
  • Options
    jstromjstrom Posts: 13
    Hi Chris,
    thanks for your reply!
    Yeah, that's what I've thought of too, just didn't want to jump in to that before getting some input from someone with experience of these devices. After all, I do get some power output, so the PSU is not totally dead :) And as I've understood it, it was the original 9088 that had problems with the PSU, not the 9088ii (but of course, that doesn't mean that it cannot fail too).. :)

Is there any possibility to get a hold of schematics for these devices? Or at least the PSU part. Would probably help a great bit!
  • Options
    jstromjstrom Posts: 13
    Woho, changed all electrolyte capacitors in the PSU area (10 of them), and now I got a working device again :D

Thanks Chris and all other guys (Jerome @ BSS Support and Tommy @ Stentor Audio) who have helped with some hints! :)

For anyone else with similar problems: I did more measurements using my oscilloscope, and the values looked good there too.. However, apparently something was off, since after changing the caps, it now seems to work great :)
This discussion has been closed.