Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion Soundweb Original
Options

Sw3088 volume increment via serial

Hi.

I have a sw 3088 which i'm trying to control via rs232 using RAW_MSG.
I'm using Soundweb Designer 1.50 build 68. sw3088 with firmware 1.06.
I can control some stuff just fine, but having problems with the most basic function - volume levels.

I would like to have simple (even not so simple ones would do) commands for increasing/decreasing gain or mixer volumes (or anything else that does what i need to do).
I can set a fixed volume level just fine, but it's not really good for my setup. I want command like \"increase this volume by 5db when i press a button once\"

Morphing a fader to spin pair didnt help much as those buttons have the same handle and method as the fader, so it only jumps to a fixed value.
Is there some other method i could use for a fader handle?
Using those control in ports with a relay does work, so it must be possible via serial too, right?
Relays aren't the best option, but if i can't figure this out i'll have to go that route :(

SDK mentioned about a SW_AMX_SPIN msg, when i try this from SW Message Tool it still jumps to a fixed value instead of increasing.
Do i need something special in that 'number' field? My device cant talk AMX so it might become a problem with ACKs...

This thread said you cant link to spin buttons via logics, is that the case with serial too? (yea i know it was about different model)
http://www.bssaudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=292&highlight=spin

I read about naming the device \"mydev +s\" or \"mydev +f\" - i know what +s does and i'm using that now, but what is +f? Couldnt find any documentation about it.

ps.
the fan noise was a disappointment :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    edited October 2010
    You can't directly bump a volume control up or down with serial strings. The only possible work-around is to control an unused button with a serial string, assign that button to a control output port, and physically wire that control output directly to a control input which has been programmed to bump the volume up or down.

Obviously, this solution doesn't work if you need up&down control of more than 4 state variables because you run out of control ports.

Dan

admin edit: Dan always forgets that you have to assign the control outputs in INVERTED mode. If you use NORMAL mode, the controls just run themselves up or down to the full extent of the fader.
  • Options
    Thanks.
    That sounds like a handy workaround.

But logic outputs output +5V and inputs expect just a trigger to close the circuit. I still need to use some sort of relays to make it happen.
    I cant just wire them from output to input, i think that won't work.

Is there a way to configure logic outputs to just close a circuit.
    Do you have some wiring tips? How have you wired them?
  • Options
    Run a piece of wire from the control output directly to the control input. You're done. Trust me, it's not a theory.

Dan
  • Options
    Did that. It caused respective faders to jump up and down quickly, like constant vibration. Numeric display showed appx 1db variations, like vibrating between -3db and -4db. Buttons did work though, it just went to vibrate at a different volume.

Vibration stops when i remove the wiring. And started again when reconnecting.
    All i did was to connect out 1 to in 1 etc (connectors 1 through 4)
    No other connections to logic ports.

Tried without linking output common to input common and with a link.

Made my controller to activate the button, wait for 0.1s and deactivate, control signals seemed ok in the control panel.

If i've understood correctly, an input port is activated by grounding it, hence common ground. By connecting it to an output port, i'm feeding it +5v, so maths doesn't really add up. (Although i do suck at maths..)

I guess i'll go buy a few solid state relays tomorrow and make a quick little circuit to handle it.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 37
    Dan's suggestion does work, I have used that workaround myself many times.

Sounds to me like you are closing both \"volume up\" and \"volume down\" buttons at the same time. You have to make sure only one of the up/down pair is triggerd.

Don't bother connecting anything to common, it's just a ground reference and all control inputs/logic outputs are already internally referenced to ground.

/Chris
  • Options
    Ah found the problem.

In control ports section of designer, i had chosen \"normal\" instead of \"inverted\" for the trigger type. Explains everything.

With normal-mode it constantly grounds all ports thus activating all ports.

Thanks guys.

Now i got another problem, but it must be something silly too.

I use mute buttons of a dummy mixer as triggers for logic outs. Mute buttons were the only ones i could morph to leds and be able to connect to logic outs. (would some other buttons be better?)

When i press these buttons on the control panel with a mouse, it lights up, that workaround thing works and fader moves.
    But when i activate the mute via serial, it lights up in the mixer window and control ports window, but it doesn't change the state of respective logic out.

I'm sure i had this working before, so must be some little thing. Gotta keep on looking.
  • Options
    Change the serial command to be an ON followed immediately by an OFF.

Dan
  • Options
    My serial commands were fine, i did do an on/off sequence.
    I had just messed up some handles, no big deal.

Now everything works perfectly.
    Thanks for all the help, that workaround is great.
This discussion has been closed.