Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Emergency mute

The problem I've had with using a \"Gain Timed\" for an \"E-mute\" recovery is that it brings the level to a specific setting and not a relative one. I typicaly like the level to return to where it was before the mute occured and I don't like having too many gains in a signal path. Thus the best way I have found so far is using a tone generator through a gain (whose mute is triggered along with the e-mute, but in the opposite direction) into the side chain of a ducker. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Comments

• Options
    J.LuszczekJ.Luszczek Posts: 159
    Why not use a dedicated gain object just for emergency muting? I do it all the time.
    It keeps it perfectly out of user controls. Have it in the signal path at 0dB and make it ramp up after muting back to 0dB. It will not affect your system volume setting before and after emergency mute.
    To make things simpler put it at the input to the system side (like right after source select/matrix). That way you only deal with a few of them as opposed to having one on each output.
  • Options
    BBurleyBBurley Posts: 8
    Most of the designs I do get handed over to people who have full controll of the design, but have just enough knowledge to get into trouble. If some of these people get into the design they will grab the first gain they see and thus messing up the gain structure. I try to limit that ability as much as possible.
  • Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    Jan is right. Put an n-input gain just before the outputs, label it FIRE, and tie the master mute to the fire trigger. An emergency mute isn't about how elegant you can be or how pretty you can make it. It's about reliably keeping people from getting dead and any additional features on a fire mute will reduce that reliability.

Dan
  • Options
    J.LuszczekJ.Luszczek Posts: 159
    \BBurley\ wrote:
    Most of the designs I do get handed over to people who have full controll of the design, but have just enough knowledge to get into trouble. If some of these people get into the design they will grab the first gain they see and thus messing up the gain structure. I try to limit that ability as much as possible.

If you really want to give the end user admin privileges, just put a big text object next to your fire mute \"don't touch- part of life safety system\".

But, creating a couple of user panels with all the controls they will ever need- even system EQ and limiter settings if you are so brave, is the way to go. Then create a user account with access to those pages but with no design privileges. It doesn't take much time to set it up, but it can save you panic phone calls on a Saturday night.
This discussion has been closed.