Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

\"out of space\" on device on load

I've got a few random \"out of space\" messages while loading a system recently.
Some of the devices are pretty stubborn with it, while others come and go.
Even a Blu-120 (no DSP to run whatsoever) and Blu-10 (one page with 3 controls on it) will insist that they are out of space and refuse to load.

Another computer might load all devices with no problems, but mine will consistently throw up this error. I can boot in to Windows XP or Windows 7, but I get the same error regardless.
What might be the cause of this?
We are talking a system with a total of 12 devices, of which 5 are Blu-160, 1 Blu-10 and 6 are Blu-120's.

Comments

• Options
    Dan LynchDan Lynch Posts: 472
    edited December 2011
    The most likely cause is that you have a design file saved to the device network. If you've done this manually, then delete the design file from the device network and try going online again. If you've fallen victim to the incredibly dangerous, automatic \"Save design to device network when going online\", you need to turn it off and then delete the design file from the device network.

To turn off this unsafe automatic preference:
    * Click on the TOOLS menu
    * Select APPLICATION PREFERENCES
    * Click the FILE tab
    * Find the drop-down list that says either YES or PROMPT and change it to NO

To delete the design file from the device network, click on the FILE menu and select \"Remove Designs From Device Network\".

If this eliminates your symptoms, then the problem was the fact that saving to the device network uses the \"extra\" memory in the device. Unfortunately, the automatic save to device network happens BEFORE you load the device, so you end up filling all of the \"extra\" space based on the requirements of whatever design file you loaded last. If the current design file needs more memory to run, then you're out of luck and you get the error message.

The second possibility is that you've had lots and lots of MSWindows crashes and you now have a bunch of junk data stored in the DSP. To fix that:
    * telnet to the device using its IP address
    * username = bssaudio
    * password = monkey
    (if you're using box security, then the password is your box password)
    * run the command \"purgexml\"
    * run the command \"formatflash\"
    * run the command \"reboot\"

The device will be reset to a completely factory fresh state. Set the name, load your file, and you should be good to go.

If that STILL doesn't fix it, then you've probably got a hardware issue. Also, it could be a problem with the NIC on your computer. You said \"another computer might load all devices with no problems\", but I don't know what that means. If might means will, then it could definitely be your NIC. If might means sometimes, then it's not the computer.

Dan
  • Options
    J.LuszczekJ.Luszczek Posts: 159
    Thanks for this answer. I wondered how to reset the device to factory fresh settings.
    I tried clearing the designs from devices, bu that didn't help.

I suspected a problem with my NIC, because another laptop could load the file in the boxes with no problems. I looked for newer drivers for it and found an update. After that I have not run into the out of space error and my going on line seems to be much faster, but I have not tried yet to load every one of the 10 London systems I have here, including the ones that gave me trouble in the past.

But, this out of space on device has popped out on mine and another co-worker's machine. He got through on second or third try, I got stuck.
    Third laptop has not run into this problem yet. So I suspect there is some change to the networking side of London software that causes problems with certain NICs.
  • Options
    I just wanted to chime in here in order to save some other poor soul that may spend hours in frustration over trying to load a project and getting nowhere. I repeatedly got \"OUT OF SPACE ON DEVICE\" message when trying to load a program to a BLU-100. :evil: I spent a lot of time formatting, flashing, updating firmware to no avail. After about an hour on the phone with very supportive tech support we figured it might be a good idea to try another computer. I went and loaded the software on a cheap laptop and viola! The program loaded immediately. Either the NIC in my laptop is bad or there is some software hidden deep in the OS that is blocking proper traffic.

Some things I learned:

Updating firmware DOES NOT erase project file stored on flash. So Bootloader will not set unit back to Factory settings. You have to:

* telnet to the device using its IP address
    * username = bssaudio
    * password = monkey
    (if you're using box security, then the password is your box password)
    * run the command \"purgexml\"
    * run the command \"formatflash\"
    * run the command \"reboot\"

(by the way, BootLoader is an app located in Help/Run Utility...)

This has been my good deed for the day.

Thank you.
  • Options
    giagia Posts: 1
    I really like it! I'll always appreciate your brief sharing in this information :P :lol:
  • Options
    Or you could simply contact technical support... :-)
  • Options
    kevinzzkevinzz Posts: 35
    I have had this issue when using variable size matrix mixers and presets. If you have any variable size matrix mixers, you really have HUGE mixers like 128x128 or something crazy like that, even though the program is only showing you the size you selected. If you have the mixer settings in presets, the presets are storing information on every crosspoint in the 128x128 size with every preset. Make sure you're using fixed size matrix mixers.