Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Set logic sources (or GPOs) via Ethernet

Hi,

Right, so I'd quite like to be able to turn on and off GPOs on our BLU-100's remotely from our router control software. The software can send TCP/UDP to the devices easily enough. I can get the GPIs into the software by setting up an Ethernet trigger on logic sources that come from the GPIs - and a \"connector\" I've written that recieves the packets and sends them into the control system. That works great.

However, what I would like to do is to be able to send the BLU-100 a packet, and it then turn a GPO on or off. This would be rather handy, as it'd mean not having to put another PC in the rack to control the indication lamps in our studios.

I thought that perhaps this could be done via a preset of some description. One (particularly Heath Robinson) solution would be to have a source selector with two inputs and n outputs (where n is the number of GPOs). Then you have a meter object on each output, connected to a logic source. One input has a tone generator on it, the other has nothing.

[code:1]
TONE
> source -> meter -> GPO1
SILENCE ---> selector -> meter -> GPO2
-> meter -> GPOn
[/code:1]

You then make presets that switch the source on each of the outputs to either the tone or silence. You hook up the clip LED on the meter up to a logic sink wired to a GPO. You can then recall a preset, that will then turn the GPO on or off.

Like I said, very Heath Robinson. Is there a better way? (preferably that won't use up too much DSP power, which I'd rather use for doing DSP :p )

Also, I don't know what the limit is on how many parameter presets you can have (presumably 255), as I'll be using a lot of those for routing ...

Comments

• Options
    Scott E.Scott E. Posts: 31
    I've read through your post a couple of times...you have quite a bit of detail so maybe I'm missing something...but if all you are doing is trying to turn on/off a GPO (control output) all you need to do is place a Logic Source and wire it directly to a Logic End. Drag the Logic End onto the control output port in the Design tree. Turning on/off this Logic Source turns on/off the Logic End which controls your control output port. You can get the exact message the controller needs to send to turn on/off the Logic Source by clicking on the button and looking at the DI Toolbar.

Also, on your logic input, your method obviously works, but you can also subscribe to a control that is mapped to the port and you will get the value on the logic input port. i.e. if you drag a mute button or logic source on to the control input port and subscribe you will get a message every time the state changes. If you drag a fader on the control input port and subscribe to the fader you will receive the values of the fader (if you require more than a simple on/off state).
  • Options
    naxxfishnaxxfish Posts: 13
    Ahh, after reading the third party interfacing guide, I see that you can quite easily control individual blocks, and test it with the DI tool.

That makes much more sense - although you may be interested to know my Rube Goldberg machine does actually work! Which might be a handy \"trick\" if the only thing you can do is recall presets. But for my application (where I can program my routing system to do whatever I like) it's not required - as you say, I can subscribe to the logic end to have it tell me when it's state changes.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Using either a straight through or cross-over ethernet cable, connect the Logic-5000 to the PC. From an internet browser, enter 192.168.1.50 in the address bar field, then press enter.
    When prompted, enter the default username of admin and the default password of password. Once logged in, continue to Section 2 for setting the ID of the modem.