Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

BLU-160 Phantom Power Noise

Hello All,

I currently have a system that has (2) BLU-160's all with analog input cards and (2) BOB's. Every time I enable Phantom power on either BLU-160, I get high pitched noise. I am trying to figure out the issue and during my testing I used an external Phantom power supply for some of the microphones (Note: The external phantom power supply was powered from a different circuit). When I used the external phantom power supply the noise was gone. Any ideas on what it could be? I am thinking it's a ground loop issue of some sort, but since it's microphones on the other end and not another piece of gear it makes it much more difficult to track down.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Options
    I had a similar problem with an Analog In card on my Blu-160. In my case, it was a bad pre-amp on that card. It was clean with no phantom power, but the minute I turned on phantom power I got this high pitched whine. The input had been connected to a 1/4\" patch bay and as the patch cord was inserted/removed it shorted the input and caused the pre-amp to blow. I sent it back and had it repaired which fixed the issue.

-david