Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

upgrade firmware on existing BLU-100 installation?

hey all. i've been asked to have a look at an existing installation nearby which \"isn't sounding very good\" and where the original installers keep charging huge sums of money to not make it any better (and that company have a poor reputation in this area for making botched installations)

the system centres around a couple of BLU-100s. i'm familiar with the old soundweb 9188 units, as another of my venues has a couple of these involved. i've completely redesigned from scratch the 9188 patch at this other venue, and regularly make minor changes when the venue request something new, so i'm very comfortable with that system.

but i've never encountered the BLU boxes or the london architect software, and i want to run over a few things before i go any further. bearing in mind that although the system sounds shonky at the moment, it does work, and they've got some big events coming up in a couple of weeks. i basically just want to ensure i'm not going to break anything before i proceed. aside from the main system, there's a LOT of very complicated zoning going on, which all works fine - all i'm really concerned with is getting the crossover output gains and limit thresholds set correctly for the main FOH system (at the moment they really are not)

i've loaded up the london architect software on my laptop, connected to the BLU-100s, and i've managed to load the patch from the units to my laptop (something not even possible with the old 9188s) and i've had a good look around the patch.

when i attempt to go online, it warns me that i need to upgrade the firmware on the BLU boxes before i can do so. i'm wary of going past this point - i've saved the patch to a file on my laptop so that if anything goes wrong i have a copy. but i've no idea what it's going to do next - will it erase the patch when the FW is upgraded? if so, will i be able to restore it from the file i've saved? and what else should i know about at this point?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 37
    A few things to keep in mind...

The patch (*.architect design file) you downloaded from the devices (open from device network) is NOT necessarily the same design that is running in the devices.
    Think of save/open from device network as a second storage room for your design file, kind of a \"virtual USB-key\".
    To make a device actually run your design, the design needs to be loaded into the device(s). Go on-line... Load devices.

Once you do have the correct desgn file there is a choice of \"syncronizing parameter values\" from the device before going on-line or upgrading firmware. This is to make sure any user adjusted settings are picked up from the devices, before overwriting the devices with your \"last saved settings\" in your design file.
    This is done in System|Get Current Parameter Values.

Upgrading firmware is VERY simple (especially compared to the greens!). Just follow on-screen directions. Once upgraded, go-online with the design and load the devices... voila!

/Chris