Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion Soundweb Original
Options

Network daisy chaining

Hi, I am fairly new to soundwebs although they have been in my installed system for the last 14 years or so,but were physically bypassed since no one could make them work.
I have since had some training on them and know the basics now so I am wanting to get them back up and running again.

The problem I have is this -

I have three 9088 units, each called U11, U22, U33 and I can only ever see the unit I have physically connected to using the rear AUX232 socket.
I have the RJ35 network cables attached, IN to OUT on each unit, apart from the U11 and U33, but I cant see all three units when I try and connect with the Soundweb Designer program.
I have a cable for the front RS232 socket, but I dont think it is working as I cant see the unit I plug that into and just get a message saying the there are no units connected.

I have been told that the RJ35 sockets can play up, is this correct?
Any help and advice would be appreciated since the original files are using the network link and I am guessing that if I cant see them in designer, then the audio information wont pass through either.
Thanks very much.

Comments

• Options
    David BDavid B Posts: 14
    Hey, most likely the network isolator has one or more dry solder joints. it was a very common problem with early Soundweb devices.

It is a straightforward fix if you are capable with a soldering iron, and will reinitiate communication between devices across their network in/out ports.

Sound Technology in Letchworth, Herts are your local distributor and service facility. They can most likely repair these without much difficulty.

D.
  • Options
    Hi David,
    Many thanks for your input, and as it happens I am handy with a soldering iron as I had to repair the power supplies on two of these units to get them working again.
    Is it just a case of resoldering the the sockets on the PCB, or is it a little more in depth?
    Syd
  • Options
    David BDavid B Posts: 14
    exactly that.

hit me a PM and I can describe further.

D.