Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London

Another Feature Idea - Object Naming

I know LA's days are numbered with Audio Architect underway but until it supports BLU-8's, I'm stuck here. I am hoping ideas posted here can make their way to AA in one way or another too.

That said, I have a lot of systems with 3+ BLU-100s or other BLUs. With filters, EQs, Comps, Gates, etc on every channel, they take FOREVER to name. I wish tools were in place to facilitate this such as setting or applying prefixes, suffixes, or even search/replace features for object names.

Naming really helps when you're making custom control panels. Also when you link from a custom panel to say an EQ, that window will open and the window title bar just has it's object name.

Another useful option might be for objects to automatically name themselves based on the signal routing. So if I route a signal out of an Audio Coupler named \"M01\" into an EQ. I could set a prefix so that the EQ shows up as \"M01-EQ\".

Just throwing this out there.

Comments

• Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit --> Multiple Rename

It's not as comprehensive as what you're asking for, but that command lets you append unique numbers to a common string of text across multiple objects.

Renaming processing objects is by no means a strict requirement. Personally, I don't think it's worth taking the time to do it, even if we had a more comprehensive toolset for object naming beyond Multiple Rename. The significant amount of time/effort it currently takes (and still WOULD take even if we had more naming tools) to initially rename all processing objects (and CONTINUALLY maintain this extreme level of organization as the design inevitably evolves)... that amount of time/effort is must larger than the small amount of time/effort you save by reading a \"human friendly\" name during certain design stages. Just my 2 cents.
  • Multiple Rename does help...

Unless there's a buried hidden way to do this, the reason I need to name objects is because to link a custom button to a default control panel page, I need to find it in the list of default control panels after they are first built... so I need to open every object once so it builds the panel, and then, I need to link from the custom button to this list in the design view. If I don't name them accordingly, I have no idea which object is which without first clicking on the object and checking its name.

I REALLY wish I could just drag the object from the design view to the custom button to do this... but instead I get \"The data on the clipboard cannot be pasted here\". If I try to drag the object name from the \"BLU-100->Default Config->Compressors\" in Design view, I get \"Sorry, this feature has not been implemented yet.\"

So, I need to find these in the Default Control Panels list. Is there a way to build all default control panels at once without having to double click on each object? Also helpful would be if this Default Control Panels list sorted itself the same way the Devices tree does.. like \"BLU-100->Default Config->Compressors\". It's not even sorted AlphaNumeric. It's sorted by the order the control panel pages were built. *facepalm*.