Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London

BSS London Feedback Suppression

This may be a simple solution. I have an area with very low ceilings (approx 9ft) that measures about 30ftx50ft. It has some older ceiling speakers that are tapped at only 1.5 watts each. They are distributed fairly close to each other (about 6ft apart). So needless to say, I am experiencing some major feedback issues at higher volumes.
The location is an old folks home, so they are requesting some louder than average sound re-enforcement, given the system limitations. I am having some serious mic feedback issues, while attempting to give them the output desired with the limitations of the system . Gating only helps at lower volumes.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• What is the microphone source? Desktop paging microphone?

Have you tried ringing out the room? Remove / reduce output of speakers closest to source?
  • Unfortunately, the mic source id a series of wireless mics added to an existing sound system. They are used for lecture etc. But with the existing speaker install, I cannot do any mix minus, or zone gain control.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 37
    Here's my tip...

Use Prametric EQs on the mics to get rid of the worst feedback frequencies.

Use a Gain Sharing Automixer; in properties set Voice Filters to On, and in the control panel set the Off-gain to -10dB.

Feed the master out of the automixer to a Compressor; I normally use a 6:1 ratio, and set the Threshold to a level where you don't trigger feedback when speaking loud/shouting into the mics.

If this doesn't work then you will probably never get it to work but have to replace the speaker system. After all, it's simple physics; distance from mouth to microphone vs. distance from speakers to microphone.

My experience with feedback supressors is they degrade the intelligibility while applying feedback filters. End result is the audience still don't hear the sound clearly.

/Chris