Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London

Automatic Delay Adjustment

Hello,
I have an application where I am using a BLU processor for inserting delays for speakers in a fill application. These delays are outside and in the area of 200 to 600 ft. Additionally, there can be temperature differential of almost 70 degrees in system usage. This is causing a time of flight change of up to 20ms, causing my delays (which were dialed in when it was 90 degrees out) to be early when its 20 degrees out.

My first step is to try to get the delay block to be told to update. It appears that I cannot link the delay parameter to something else, to get that something else to tell it to change. Any one have any advise on where to start tackling this problem? Possibly an Out/In serial string? The end all to this would be to drop a temp probe on the GPI and have this auto update.

I would like to avoid having to manually calculate delay times, and recall a different preset every 5 degrees.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi David. That's a tricky one.

Solution1:
    Find a device that receives temperature data, parses that data, and then outputs commands in 1 or more of the following formats:

-A serial string (which conforms to the BSS 3rd party control protocol) hitting the BSS serial port.

-An Ethernet message (which conforms to the BSS 3rd party control protocol) hitting the BSS Ethernet port.

-A sine wave of varying amplitude hitting a BSS analog input (both the Modulator processing object and the Meter Trigger processing object let you control BSS parameters based on audio signal amplitude).

-A relay network (or motorized resistor ladder or motorized potentiometer) which varies the resistance between BSS GPI pins and common.

(Imperfect) Solution2:
    The following devices have an internal temperature sensor:

BLU-806, 805, 800, 326, 325, 320, 160, 120

If your system includes 1 or more of the above devices, you could use that internal temperature sensor to ROUGHLY determine relative increases and decreases in external temperatures. Based on that internal temperature value, you could tell the delay block to update.

Regardless of which solution you use, you'll almost certainly have to tell the delays to update via preset recall.
  • See any reasons why this wouldn't work?

Amico PT100 Temperature Sensor Transmitter 0-50C Output 0-5V DC

At 32 degrees F it outputs 0V, at 122 degrees F, it outputs 5V.

The V input of the control ports on London are rated up to 4.5V. I would guess that I could shed the .5V in line losses between this device and the BLU.