Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Motion Control Message to IT

Hello,

I have done several projects with Motion Control and always run into the same issues when I get on site. I have started to try and proactively get the common IT issues handled before I end up on site (usually on smaller jobs, that is on the day the system is due) so I am not forced to have to leave without the UI functional. To that end I have drafted a template that I send out and instruct the client to get it to the right IT people. Feel free to use this to save your own headaches:

\"The BSS iPad control application works great, however getting it up and going has some requirements that need to be met that may require action by others. Also some important things to know for the customer. Please pass this along.

In order to have a smooth startup of the application, and not cause return trips and unnecessary hourly charges, the following needs to occur prior to our arrival on site.

1) iTunes app. iPad or iPhone control of BSS requires the purchase of an app called HiQnet Motion Control. This app is $9.99 on the Apple App store. Please have the owner of the iTunes account associated with the iPads/iPhones purchase and install this app prior to our arrival on site. I have encountered the issue more than once that the iPad furnished is brand new, or the iTunes password required to purchase apps is not available at the time of system startup, or there is another problem that needs the owner of the iPad to resolve. Especially when working after hours/weekend.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hiqnet-motion-control/id531875231?mt=8

2) Networking. The BSS unit being controlled and the iPad/iPhone used to control it must be on the same subnet to be supported by BSS. I have sometimes got the system to work across subnets, but it takes highly technical intervention by the network administrator and sometimes hours of troubleshooting on our end to get it to work, and there is no guarantee it will work or that the corporate IT administrator will allow the kind of modifications needed to make it work. Technical details: The system uses UDP Broadcast for discovery (among other types of traffic for operation), the network must pass this traffic between the subnets. Routers do not pass broadcast traffic by default and must be specifically configured to pass this traffic. Sometimes even wireless network controllers block this traffic even though the subnet is the same as the wired network, this also needs to be checked.

3) Multiple networks. Because of the above requirement, sometimes a special wireless network or SSID is set up to facilitate BSS control, but that network may not be able to access the Internet. Often at some point in the future the iPad will be joined to a 2nd network to access the internet or do other iPad-y things, and on that network the control app will appear to not function. This is a very common cause of 'it's broken'. The users must know how to switch networks on the iPad to connect to the BSS control. We strongly recommend that only one SSID be stored to auto-associate in the iPad's iPhone's network settings. Please test this connection prior to our arrival on site.

4) Network physical and IP Address provisioning. The BSS unit must be attached to a wireless network. If this is anything other than a combination wireless access point/switch that the sound contractor controls and is directly attached to the BSS, someone must be made aware that this device needs a connection to the network switch (data drop, port assignment/activation, and patching in the closet) as well as an IP Address or direction to use DHCP. The unit can function either with DHCP or a Static IP address. Please have the network administrator assign a network address or state we are to use DHCP prior to our arrival.

5) Programming provisioning. In order to configure the iPad, my laptop has to connect to the same network the iPad and BSS control is working on and be able to see both simultaneously. I will either need a separate physical network drop and IP addressing information, or SSID network name and password. Please identify this means of connection prior to me arriving on site.\"

Good luck out there everyone.

Comments

• Options
    J.LuszczekJ.Luszczek Posts: 159
    Thanks. This closely resembles my experiences with controlling systems through wi-fi and tablet apps.
    The biggest issue with this approach to control is that wi-fi slows down tremendously during events when there are hundreds of cell phones present, all competing for bandwidth. Sometimes commands get lost all together or have so much latency that the system seems broken.

That's why we always have wired network connection(s) available for a laptop running London or System Architect.