Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London
Options

Multiple BLU800 Spanning Audio Monitoring/Matrices

Hello everyone.. first time writing a larger (10 Blu800/15 BluBOB/15 Crown CTs8200cn) program and I have run into a particularly interesting challenge that I haven't found a more simple/elegant way around.

We are trying to do audio monitoring (local speaker in a server room) that can monitor the output /post processing of anything passing through any of the Blu800s. Right now, I have the program set up to pass each signal through a matrix at the end of all processing, right before going out over BluLink or Cobranet, with one extra output, assigned as a 'monitor' output. From there, that monitor output (patchable via the matrix to take any of the signals in that DSP) goes out over BluLink to the 'main' DSP in each control room. That DSP then has a source selection block that chooses which DSP 'monitor' signal to play out over the local speaker (being sent from the main DSP to the speaker via Cobranet).

Right now, in order to control that, I would have to send multiple messages from my control software (Medialon Show Manager Pro).. one message to select the signal/route it to the main DSP in each room, then another to select that 'monitor' signal in the main DSP and send it to the speaker.

Is there a more elegant solution that anyone has used before? I tried to link the matrix/source selector, but LA doesn't seem to like that idea.

System background:
There are two different server rooms, both joined by a signal, building wide Cobranet network. Each room has it's own BluLink network (the audio monitor is only for sources coming from each room). I'm trying to avoid multicast on the Cobranet network...

Any tips/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    What about creating a preset group in the BSS boxes that would contain presets for every possible combination? It will be a little tedious to set up...but then one command would need to be sent instead of two.

It would be much less tedious if you were using AA over LA.
  • Options
    That would be super tedious.... there are about 300 inputs that we are wanting to monitor... I am also trying to figure out the 'best practice' on this, since it seems to be a fairly unique situation and a larger than typical BSS installation. I started the design on LA, so I am sticking with that for now. I haven't dug too much into AA except for configuring all the Amplifiers.

I don't mind rebuilding the system (program) design if I have to, to make it the best/most functional process for audio monitoring. I think that presets for everything seems like an overly cumbersome process.
  • Options
    The way you have done it is probably the best way.
    Use a Source Matrix in each device and route output to the network.
    Pick up all those channels in one device and send them into a Mixer which goes out to your listening monitor.
    To listen to a signal, trigger the Source Matrix to route it. Then send another command to set the Source Matrix back to \"None\"

This has been deployed successfully in many installs. One has the facility to PFL amongst hundreds of inputs and outputs from 45 BLU devices.