Home BSS User Forum BSS Archive Threads Discussion London Architect with Soundweb London

powering down blu-100

Our church, 4 years ago, installed an overkill Allen and Heath Ilive and JBL speaker system with a Blu-100 feeding mains, fills, balcony speakers etc. the system was set up, leaving the Blu-100 always on and to be powered up using the 10 circuit breakers, located in box in control booth, flipping breakers in order of powering up the mixrack and last throwing power to the powered JBLS. Seems crazy to me. Of course the person in charge of the installation has left he church, now we musicians are trying to figure out what is up. Should be we leaving the Blu-100 on all the time, or can we just power it up first ? seems to me crazy they set this up like this and can't be good using breakers as switches. Can the Blu-100 trigger a power sequencer to turn on the various devices? thank you for helping us novices in advance.

Comments

• Indeed the BLU-100 can be used to trigger a power sequencer, or series of these. Use the GPIO ports on the rear, or serial or network connections to trigger a 3rd party device.

Of course you will need access to the design file to make some changes,

You could try one of the many Furman power sequencer products. I have used these in the past with Soundweb London devices and they work fine.

It would be hard to make a specific recommendation though without knowing the load you are actually running.

In any event, the BLU-100 will be running 24/7, and this is fine. The vast majority of applications have these DSP devices powered on continuously.

If you download the applications guides from BSS webpage, there is one which discusses in detail how to deploy a power sequencer design within London Architect.

http://www.bssaudio.com/en-US/support_downloads#application-guide

[/url]

• In any event, the BLU-100 will be running 24/7, and this is fine. The vast majority of applications have these DSP devices powered on continuously.

I must disagree with this last statement. The BSS processors have tiny fans that clog with dust over time, when clogged I've seen some units experience PSU failure eventually due to a lack of airflow. If you are going to religiously take the Blu out of the rack a couple of times a year and clean the fan and the inside of the chassis of dust/ dirt build up you could potentially leave it on 24/7. If the gear is only use a few hours a day or week why not power it down with a Furman or Lyntec sequencer along with the other gear. BSS on first and off last. You will get far better longevity from the unit. YMMV but I doubt it :-)

:):D
  • The poster asked if a BLU-100 can activate a power sequencer to turn other gear on and off.
    Hard to do if you are powering the BLU-100 off with the same sequencer.

In my experience of London DSPs in stadiums, corporate offices, bars, nightclubs, universities, shopping malls and cinemas, all these are on 24/7 without issue. In dusty and/or dirty environments, then the fans will need a clean out occasionally, as would any fan, of course.

As an aside- on the frame devices, you can monitor internal temperature of the London and have an action initiated once a threshold is breached, perhaps alerting you to a defective or clogged fan.
  • As an aside- on the frame devices, you can monitor internal temperature of the London and have an action initiated once a threshold is breached, perhaps alerting you to a defective or clogged fan.

I do not believe temp monitoring is an option on the 50 or 100 series processors.
  • I said 'on the frame devices'.

By that I mean the devices into which one can populate I/O cards, ie configurable chassis.