Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

First Post on the new BBoard section. I do have a question.

glenjaminglenjamin Posts: 13
edited February 2006 in PA Configuration Wizard
My gain stage is setup so that my console and amps clip at the same point. I now turned on the limiter on the DRPA so that my amps can't reach clip. Is this a bad idea? My amps already have clip limiters built in if that would be better. :roll:

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yo, :wink:
    double limiters is not a good idea. If you engage the limiters on the amps it will also limit the available power... as in the QSC RMX 2450, engaging the limiter takes the available 2400 watts bridged mono down to about 1800 watts... :( The DRPA does not have brick wall limiters so expect overshoot.
    :shock:
    gadget
  • Options
    Opps, I ment either or not double limiters. So I should enable them on my Mackie 1400's but disable on the DRPA. Or the other way around?
  • Options
    The internal limiter of the RMX amplifier has slow clip limiting, roughly 200ms attack and 1s release. The normal operation of the limiter is to cut clipping about 75% (or compression ratio: 4:1). There is no gain reduction below clipping level.

Regards,

Thanh Nguyen
    Service Development Engineer
    QSC Audio Products, Inc.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi,
    As I thought I indicated, :mrgreen: I would use the limiter on the DRPA. It is adjustable, and would not limit the amps power as much depending on the setting. :wink: If you set the limiter up to use too hard a limit it becomes audible. :roll: Of course there is no substitute for having sufficient power and speakers to cover the crowd you are playing for... then a limiter is not even necessary...

I (using the DR260) set the limiter up as a OOPS(brick wall limiter) I accidentally walked away and let you come back here and fuck with my system while I was out checking the room... :evil:

Gadget