Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

DRPA hiss

glenjaminglenjamin Posts: 13
edited January 2008 in PA General Discussion
Is there a fix for the light hiss that comes from the DRPA?
With the EQ's flat and Cross/LIM off, using custom amp, custom speaker full range and conecting to the H out WITH no items pluged into the input I hear a slight hiss that will go away when I bypass the DRPA. So from the mixer to amp I have NO hiss but, from mixer to DRPA to amp it appears. I also loaded differnt programs to see if that mattered. I can deal with it if there is no fix. It's not that noticable for live sound.

Anyone fix this in the past. Firmware etc??

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Just me...
    You know, I have heard on many occasions about this problem... I can tell you mine is quiet. There is no firmware update, and I am pretty cretain there will not be one... if there were, it would require a trip to a repair shop for installation since it is a chip soldered to the board!

Thats all I've got for you, except to say that you could be dealing with a signal to noise ratio problem... when I do a gain structure it maximises the sound that the DRPA gets, minimising the noise. I have the system set up in my garage and there is silence till the first not hits and tears your face off...you can't even tell the system is on till then... now it was a referb, so its possible they corrected that problem when it was in...but?

Gadget
  • Options
    I've found my driverack PA is extremely noisy. I didn't notice it with my 10K 3 way rig outdoors, but as soon as I tried to bi-amp my VRX932LA indoors the horns were hissing away like crazy. At first I thought it was my PLX1602 that was driving the horn but as soon as I unplugged the input out of the PLX and all the noise was gone. I use the VRX indoors in small 100-300 seat halls mixing acoustic bluegrass and I can't tolerate noise. Full range the noise is tolerable when driven by PL236's.

That is my only complaint with the PA, it has an incredible ammount of control for such a low price.
  • Options
    kpippenkpippen Posts: 551
    Another feather in 260's cap I suppose...
  • Options
    Yeh...I got the same hiss in the PA (or should I say \"out of\") :(
  • Options
    All three of mine are DEAD quiet, as in you can't even tell the 8K FOH is at WFO until you play a CD/song. Sometimes I am not sure I have turned it on until I try it.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    My system is dead quite as well, DRPA, 240, 260 and especially the 4800...My DJ system has a DRPA and a very noisy Behringer mixer... I have to have the channel gain WELL over unity gain and the main outputs at -30 db to get a quite (silent room). I'm not doubting you have hiss, I bet I could set your systems up to be quiet , but without knowing exactly what you have and a lot of what the perferals are I just can't do it \"over the phone\".

Gadget