Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Yorkville U15's

ddauwgddauwg Posts: 4
edited April 2006 in PA General Discussion
Hello,

I am a proud new owner of three Yorkville U15's, DR PA, and 2 Crown XS500 amps. Unfortunately at this time I don't have a sub to add to the system.

I would like to biamp the speakers with a twist \"IF POSSIBLE\". I would like to run the lows through the woofers and the Mid/Highs through the horn. Can this be done and if so how? In addition is the a configuration setting for these speakers?

Thank much,
ddauwg

Comments

• mikejoeydbxmikejoeydbx Posts: 134
    ddauwg,

It looks like those Yorkville speakers are capable of reproducing frequencies down to about 300 Hz on the mid/high drivers, but you may want to verify this with Yorkville. The Driverack PA is capable of achieving the X-over points you are referring to. Run the \"SETUP WIZARD\" and select \"CUSTOM BIAMP\" for the mains. Select \"NONE\" for subs. Select \"CUSTOM\" for the amps. Once the new configuration is loaded, go into the \"X-OVER\" section and manually adjust the x-over frequencies. You will have to plug into the high and low outputs. Unfortunately, I don't have any speaker tuning settings for these speakers.
  • ddauwgddauwg Posts: 4
    mikejoeydbx

Thank you very much!

I knew the Driverack PA was capable of handling my request but I just wasn't sure how to set up. I will be completing this setup next week after I confirm with Yorkville about the frequency range of the mid/high drivers.

I let you know how it turns out next week.
    [/quote]
  • The U15 can be bi-amped only separating the low from the mid & highs. The mid to highs passive crossover remains in use when bi-amping. Makes sense, the whole UNITY horn deal is having the mids & highs having a UNIFIED output on the same conical horn. Changes to that would NOT be prudent.

The passive crossover AND the factory controller active crossover crosses the low (the 15\") in at 315hz. There is a 191Hz that gets notched out with the factory controller you'll want to emulate (although an internet friend, TimmyP, says a bit of fiberfill takes care of that physically). Just down load the factory controller and use the frequency graph as a guideline for setting the drpa. That's what I did and it sounds good. I have read where some Yorkville factory types used upward to 500Hz for the low to mid active crossover point prior to releasing the U15EP controller processor. So if you do bi-amp, feel free to play with that area.

Great speakers. You'll be happy with them. But THREE? What's up wid dat?

Mike McNany
  • ddauwgddauwg Posts: 4
    Mike,

I truly appreciate your assistance on this. It has had me a little anxious the last couple of days.

Will I still need to use the High/Low outputs on the drpa?
    Can you explain how I would emulate the 191Hz notch out?

Great speakers. You'll be happy with them. But THREE? What's up wid dat?

Good question, the building is 80ft wide and 48ft deep. I could not convince the power that be to invest in a proper system design so this is what we ended up with. My hope is that they are more than adequate for our needs.

Dennis[/quote]
  • ddauwg wrote:
    Mike,

Will I still need to use the High/Low outputs on the drpa?
    Can you explain how I would emulate the 191Hz notch out?

Dennis

When you select the mode you want , like bi-amped mono, the front panel shows a system diagram and which outputs to use. Likely it will be the the high and low outs but I'd have to run that setup in the DRPA to know for sure.

You can select the Parametric EQ and set it near the 191Hz, cut it about 9dB and then adjust the "Q" (the filter bandwidth) to fairly narrow. Be sure and STORE (have to hit the button TWICE) as you go along with changes so you don't lose any.

Sorry I can't be more specific but my drpa is in the FOH rack in the trailer. And I don't work it enough to remember how to get to each function without doing it. Mine has setups stored for 3 different sets of tops (full range passive 2x2) and each version with & without subs (2x3 mode) so I don't remember the specific filters for one set ;>(

Go to www.yorkville.com and down load the U15's processor manual. In the back pages is a frequency graph of how it filters the output to the U15s. Take your time with it, it has several frequency curves depending on w or w/o subs and w or w/o a prerecorded music boost. But you can figure out the changes it does and rough them in pretty well on the drpa even before operating the speakers.

Mike McNany