Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads dbx Archive General dbx Archive General Discussion
Options

PA vs 260 or other?

hurshguyhurshguy Posts: 3
Greetings,
I'm new here and want to first of all thank everyone for the great postings, they are helping me quite a lot. I didn't find what I was looking for in the old postings, if it's been covered and I missed it, I apologize.

I am a band member and not a sound guy so most of this tech stuff goes way over my head. I have decided to buy one of your Driverack units but not sure which one yet. Seems the major difference between the PA and the 260 is the GUI interface? Are there other advantages to having the 260? I am primarily interested in features as I won't be using the interface. At least not at this point.

This is going to be rack mounted in a portable system that will consist of 3 power amps, 2 main speakers, 3 monitors and sometimes a subwoofer or 2. We will mostly use it for practice and only will take it on the road for smaller gigs that don't have house systems. I do run a snake to the FOH for the mixing console when we take our gear. But the Amps and rack gear are near the stage. I don't use a laptop currently and don't see a need for one.

What are the advantages of the 260 over the PA aside form the interface...and is the interface primarily something that interests contractors and Sound Guys? Please advise on which unit you think would be best for my application. Apologies for the lengthy posting but wanted to give all relaitive info and specific questions.

I want to thank everyone in advance for any assistance.

Guy.

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Actually the 260 is a serious piece of gear that has HUGE improvments on the DRPA. Yes, the GUI is worth the extra cost all by itself, but the other feature enhancements really set it apart. If you did in fact look in the old forum you missed this...

Gary Perrett

Subject:

DRPA vs 260 the differences(my slant)

07/03/2004

Hi
    Well, I have both. I will only use the DRPA in a disco/type system where advanced functions are not necessary. Here is a list as best I can remember of the 260 VS DRPA.
    The differences have been covered on this user group about a year or so ago. But since it's not that easy to find something ;-) Most important advantages of the 260 are:
    GUI control and firmware updater
    output relays (saves a lot of headaches!)(no KABOOM if you forget and turn the DRPA off with the amps on, or even if the power fails!)
    muting buttons per output channel
    dual mono settings
    more PEQ's ( 4 per output vs 3 for hi outs and 2 for mids and lo's in DRPA)
    longer delay-times, a full 2.7 seconds of re-distributable delay vs only 10 ms / output on DRPA
    full function input mixer, either input can drive 1 or both channels
    outputs freely configurable
    much more flexible auto-eq functionality (you can run the RTA in real time!)
    It's really quite a difference.
    Almost forgot one of the most important advantages of the 260 over the pa, at least as far as I'm concerned: full functional security! You can also freely configureany of the 6 outputs to do anything you can imagine within the confines of the units functions, and true dual mono operation which the DRPA cannot do

Where the PA only has a simple lockout (which can be by switched off by anyone who can read the online-manual), with the 260 different security levels can be assigned to any function.
    Anyway, with the DRPA, the RTA (Real Time Analizer) and Auto-eq can only be used in combination with each other (within the auto-eq wizard).

The 260-user can switch on and off the pink noise on the input mixer, view the analizer with any signal (even on the computer-screen via the GUI-control) and then decide wether or not to use the auto-eq function. Much more flexibility.

So for my money(and I just purchase another one)its the 260...When you get it make sure you have version 1.01(1.02 is the same, just a line code version for factory install) or use the updater and load the new program before you do any of your own programing.
    Be well
    Gary Perrett
    TZ productions
    studio\"G\"

It was located here:
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/view_thre ... d_id=38654

Gadget
  • Options
    hurshguyhurshguy Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info...very helpful stuff for guys like me where most of this goes OMH.

Sorry I missed the postings from 2004 where this was covered. I must have missed the link to the old forum but like I said I'm new here. I know that's not an excuse and I apologize again.

I will try to soak up what was covered in the posting and erpost any new questions...but from what I understand so far it's an easy decision. I'll start looking for deals on the 260. No point in buying gear that I'll outgrow almost instantly.

Again, thank you very much for the assistance. I really appreciate it!

Guy.
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    No problem. Its just that there is no archive available here so the link is to the old site where the tutorials are.. check them out, lots of good info there.
    I have seen the 260 on ebay for as low as $679, check out fullcompass.com and get the phone # and call them ... they usually have the best price otherwise.
    gadget