Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

2x4 using mono subs

Cory CooperCory Cooper Posts: 51
edited June 2006 in PA Configuration Wizard
Hi All,

I have a very nice config in the DRPA already...works well. It's a 2x4 with subs set to stereo. (Nice that all my gear has presets in the wizard!)

My question: I was reading some posts around here and playing around with the wizard today and decided to try something.

My Working Config
Input: Stereo
Graphic EQ: Stereo
Main Speaker: MP415 Passive
Sub Speaker: MP418S Stereo
High Amplifier: Crwn CE4000
Sensitivity: 1.4 Volts
High Amp Level: 54%
Low Amplifier: Crwn CE4000
Low Amp Level: 54%
Low Amp Bridging: Normal

My Testing Config
Input: Stereo
Graphic EQ: Stereo
Main Speaker: MP415 Passive
Sub Speaker: MP418S Mono
High Amplifier: Crwn CE4000
High Amp Level: 54%
Low Amplifier: Crwn CE4000
Low Amp Level: 54%
Low Amp Bridging: Normal

The difference is I chose mono instead of stereo for the subs. I still have the sub CE 4000 connected the same way as in the normal stereo config.

Is this an acceptable setup? With the subs placed together between the tops, the mono setup seems to have much more low end. By selecting mono for the subs, can/should it only be run with a single sub and the CE 4000 in bridge-mono mode (of course using proper cabling)?

I haven't given it much juice...don't want to hurt anything, just was curious and in a testing mood.

Thanks in advance for any comments/guidance,

C

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Guess who?
    Yo Coop!
    I highly recommend using the subs in bridged mono and placed together. You get that 3db of free output(when together)... use both subs as often as possible! you can always turn them down..

try putting the subs against a wall, or even better in a corner if possible (try and keep 1 of the 415's close to the subs also since you don't have enough delay to put them very far apart). Don't be afraid! go ahead and kick her in the ass! just listen for signs of speaker distress.
    Gadget :P
  • Options
    Yo G! I knew you'd be around. ;) Always good to hear from you.

Yes, I out them together so I get the 3dB coupled-effect...I do that when running stereo too.

Confused now: I thought by putting the amp in bridge-mono mode, I could only connect one sub. The 418S is a 4 ohm cabinet...so I couldn't run both off one CE 4000, right? Can I just leave the CE in normal stereo mode, connect both subs to it, run the 2x4 in the DRPA w/mono sub in wizard setup and simply connect both Low L and Low R to the CE? Wouldn't that just send a mono signal to both input channels of the CE? And, I wouldn't need the rewired cable I use for when I run a single sub with the CE in bridge-mono mode, right?

Thanks brother...
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Yes, sorry I did not realize they were a 4 ohm cab? Do it just the way you said.
    G