Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA Configuration Wizard
Options

dbx pa xlr inputs

tbetleytbetley Posts: 20
edited September 2006 in PA Configuration Wizard
I'm running an rca out (unbalanced signal) from my preamp to xlr in on the PA. Question does the PA send a true balanced out signal in this configuration? I read somewhere that if you are running un-balanced inputs you get un-balanced outputs unless you short out the + and - pins on the input side. Is this true?

Comments

• Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    No.
  • Options
    ...even though I'm running 'unbalanced in' I get a full + and - balanced out signal?
  • Options
    Again, No.
    I will elaborate. The unballanced signal in to the driverack is just that, an unballanced input into a ballanced input section, with enough gain to make up for the difference. However, the output XLR's are a differentially ballanced output, and as such are best kept that way all the way to the amps. So, the inputs AND outputs are ballanced. The fact you are sending the driverack an unballanced signal, it is processed and output in a ballanced configuration. The DRPA has a switch in the back that allows for operation in a 'pro' level configuration..+4, and 'consumer' level, -10. This allows for plug and play operation with consumer level gear, which is mostly at the -10 level, and typically doesn't run great distances.
    G
  • Options
    Thanks. I audtioned the PA in the +4 mode, bought one which was still in the -10 mode. I thought I was getting unbalanced output. This was obviously the difference.
  • Options
    AJayAJay Posts: 28
    Kinda the way I understand it works is like this:

the signal comes into the input. the box takes the average of the balanced signal and converts that average into the digital for processing internally.

then, it is just after the A/D that the signal gets split again into the +/- signals for balanced transmission over the cables.
  • Options
    I would want to use the DRPA in this configuration as well, but I would also want to connect the outputs to amplifiers that have unbalanced (RCA) inputs. Which XLR pin configuration would I use for the input and the output? Would they be different? I'm assuming I would want to set the DRPA to -10db for this configuration, is that correct? Thanks.
  • Options
    AJayAJay Posts: 28
    i just for kicks tried hooking up a DriveRack to my home stereo in place of the EQ. I got some XLR-RCA connectors to interface it.

I believe the configuration is to short the negative to ground, so that positive is the signal, and the ground/negative becomes the new ground.
  • Options
    Pin 2 is hot, pin one is sheild and 3 ground I would be prepared to leave the sheild run open at the amp end if noise issues(hum) are present... otherwise tieng 1, and 3 togehter is acceptable..
    G