Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion

Clipping Issue With DriveRack PA

tommytunetommytune Posts: 3
edited June 2006 in PA General Discussion
I have a PA that consists of 2 JBL SR4732's and 3 EV Eliminator Subs per side. I power the the JBL's with a QSC PLX 3402 and the EV's with a Crown CE4000. This is the per side setup, I run everything in stereo (so I have 4 power amps...).

Prior to using the DriveRack PA, I used a stereo DBX crossover and Stereo DBX 1/3rd octave eq. I never clipped the subs and had a monster amount of headroom for volume, even outdoors. Now with the DriveRack I'm getting clipping in the subs at pretty moderate volumes. I'm not driving the board hard and not getting near the volume I once was but both sides of the CE4000's are clipping on the kick drum.

I'm crossing over at 100hz with the HPF at 40. Any ideas what might be causing the lack of volume at the speakers but overloading at the amps?

Thanks!

Comments

• GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Did you do a gain structure to get all the components on the same page?
    Gadget
  • tommytunetommytune Posts: 3
    Yes, but I've since reset everything to at least get a little more volume out of the subs. I just don't get why I'm getting such a strong signal into the Crowns but getting nothing out of the Eliminator subs. I'm stumped since it was a very good, clean and loud system using the older stuff.

I just wanted to save rack space by using the DriveRack.
  • GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    If you put the subs right next to each other and you get very little sound, one of the subs is reverse polorized. If as the seperation gets further apart the subs become more and more audible this is the case. Find out which wire is backwards. It could be the speaker wires, or the cables to the amps. Or you could just reverse the wires on one sub.. But I'd want to know for future problem detection which is the culprit.
    Gadget