Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriverRack PA & DriveRack PA+ PA General Discussion
Options

DRPA and JBL MP415's

Bill/HBill/H Posts: 5
edited July 2006 in PA General Discussion
I am looking at cabinets to add to my system for use in smaller venues. I currently have a system that is tri-amped with subs and JBL 4733 cabinets with the dual 15's. I run QSC amps, specifically, one PLX 3002 for the mids and a PLX1202 for the horns. I am considering the JBL MP415's for my future smaller cabinets, but I see that they do NOT come from the factory with the input jacks wired to allow running the cabinets bi-amped.

Here are my questions:
1. I would like to determine if I can split the input to the crossover (by re-wiring) at the Speakons (1+, 1- for highs and 2+, 2- for the lows) and run the system bi-amped?
2. I would also like to add a DRPA to the system to drive the MP415's bi-amped, plus my subs (tri-amped) if needed. Can I do this?
3. Is this overkill? Should I just run the MP415's with the PLX 3002 full range?
4. If I can split the high/mid signal into the MP415's, would it be best to feed the signal into the crossover, or should I bypass the crossover and go straight to the 2406 and the 2033 drivers?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Bill

Comments

• Options
    Cory CooperCory Cooper Posts: 51
    edited September 2010
    Hi Bill. I have the MP415s in my system and love them. I'll answer with what I know:

1. Not sure...I believe it would require some custom internal rewiring.
    2. Yes, the DRPA will handle that. It has three sets of outputs - Lo/Mid/Hi. I run mine in several configs: 2x2, bi-amped 2x4 setup, and bi-amped bridge-mono 2x3 single sub.
    3. The 415s aren't specifically designed for bi-amping. Their drivers are very good, but not the same as the SRX and up lines, which are designed for bi/tri-amplification. You'll get some nice sound running them \"full range\" with a nice crossover to a set of subs.
    4. The internals have some of JBL's protection circuitry...I would believe it better to use it for driver protection.

They are a great set of speaks for my personal use...DJ rig. I have had many compliments on the sound, including several bands that I have played alongside. (They wanted to scrap their system and run thru mine!). Some of the local bands do have a similar setup to mine.

I guess my main opinion would be to run them as they are from the factory. They can produce quite a bit of output. How much smaller of a venue are we talking about vs your 4733s? You WILL need to run a sub/subs with the 415s.
  • Options
    Thanks Cory.

I thought that someone with experience with the MP 415's would set me straight. I think I need to do a little more research and an A to B comparison between the MP415 and either the older SRX4726 or the newer SRX 715's. I can then determine if the MP415's run full range with subs will work in the smaller clubs.

Thanks again, I am going to get a DRPA to replace my 234XL crossover, then work out the cabinet purchase.

Bill
  • Options
    GadgetGadget Posts: 4,915
    Hi
    1. yes but to have it both ways would require a switch
    2. yes again it will work well the 260 would be ideal..
    3. If you are experienced at system setup, and feel that you can do it then yes, I would...
    4. As I said, if you want both you will need a switch, or rewire each time. for biamp completely bypass the xover...
    Gadget
  • Options
    Thanks for the follow-up Gadget.

If I understand correctly, the connections in the crossover could be rewired to split the signals and run the cabinets bi-amped. The SR cabinets have switches in their crossovers that split the high and low into seperate signals. They do this before the crossover components, so that the crossover still protects the drivers. That is why I asked question #4.

Your answer to question #3 leads me to wonder why JBL did not put a swicth in from the factory. These are labeled as \"MPro\", so did they do it to keep costs down or because they thought that the target users would not want to spend the extra $$ on an additional amp to run the horns.

I have seen other posts where you point to the 260 over the DRPA, why choose the 260? What does it do better than the PA model?

Thanks, Bill
  • Options
    Huge difference!
    I was going to point you to post I already did in the old forum , but its down...?

in very brief
    more peq's
    much more delay's
    more control
    the GUI
    no turn off explosion
    real time RTA
    input and output mixers
    selectable modules
    independant contol of all functions, nothing is tied together true dual mono operation where any or all outputs can be configured any way...

Yes I suspect that the PRO in Mpro is a placation... buy me I'm professional. I don't think anything with a 1' horn (other than super tweeter) has bi-amp capability.
    G
  • Options
    Ok the old site is back up...

look here:
    http://www.driverack.com/drug/view_thre ... d_id=38654

here is what you will find...

Hi
    Well, I have both. I will only use the DRPA in a disco/type system where advanced functions are not necessary. Here is a list as best I can remember of the 260 VS DRPA.
    The differences have been covered on this user group about a year or so ago. But since it's not that easy to find something ;-) Most important advantages of the 260 are:
    GUI control and firmware updater
    output relays (saves a lot of headaches!)
    muting buttons per output channel
    dual mono settings
    more PEQ's
    longer delay-times
    full function input mixer
    outputs freely configurable
    much more flexible auto-eq functionality
    It's really quite a difference.
    Almost forgot one of the most important advantages of the 260 over the pa, at least as far as I'm concerned: full functional security! You can also freely configureany of the 6 outputs to do anything you can imagine within the confines of the units functions, and true dual mono operation which the DRPA cannot do

Where the PA only has a simple lockout (which can be by switched off by anyone who can read the online-manual), with the 260 different security levels can be assigned to any function.
    Anyway, with the DRPA, the RTA (Real Time Analizer) and Auto-eq can only be used in combination with each other (within the auto-eq wizard).

The 260-user can switch on and off the pink noise on the input mixer, view the analizer with any signal (even on the computer-screen via the GUI-control) and then decide wether or not to use the auto-eq function. Much more flexibility.

So for my money(and I just purchase another one)its the 260...When you get it make sure you have version 1.01 or use the updater and load the new program befroe you do any of your own programing.
    Be well
    Gary Perrett
    TZ productions
    studio\"G\"
  • Options
    OK - That explains a lot. After I read your post, I began looking at the specs for both units. From the specs they don't look that much different, but from an experienced user there are some huge differences. The three that I see as the biggest advantage are:
    1. Update the firmware
    2. Use the RTA as an RTA
    3. True mono operation.

I'm sure you have several favorite capabilities. The security is important, I worked with a guy that had an EAW MX800, if the power dropped, everything reset to flat, not the previous settings.

Thanks for all your input, it has made my decision much easier.

Bill
  • Options
    My actual favorite feature is the GUI. It makes changes a snap! and with the RTA you can visualize the changes in real time... there is really no comparrison..
    G
  • Options
    I totally agree with Gadget...I only bought the DRPA over the 260 because I have a small system that doesn't change and don't do many gigs at all. The gigs I do are basically all at the same venue in three locations.

Either way you go - 260 or DRPA, you'll love it and appreciate all the power it has in that small little package.

C