Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads DriveRack 200 Series 200 Series General Discussion
Options

Automatic Gain Control

RedeemerRedeemer Posts: 3
Hey guys,

I use a 260 in our church. Ch A feeds FOH, balcony, and a distributed system in remote rooms. I have a problem with the distributed feed. The music is much louder than the sermon so in the remote rooms the sermon is barely audible when the music is coming through on the loud side. The difference at the 260 output is ~12dB. I wonder if I can adjust the AGC to level out these two parts so that the spoken work is as loud as the music. Using Ch B is not an option.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    AJayAJay Posts: 28
    so are both the music and the sermon together on Ch A? is the balance of the sermon/music right for FOH and balcony? Is there any DSP you are using on any of the channles?
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Posts: 3
    AJay,

Yes the relative volumes are good for the FOH. The congregation is quite for the sermon and sings out loudly with the music, so gain for the music is greater to stay on top of the house. And both are on channel A. Channel B is used for a CR monitor to provide the necessary delay. Channel A is fed to 5 of the outputs: all house and this feed to the distributed system. The post crossover dynamics are PEQ on all channels, limiters on all house, and AGC on the channel in question. I need to send a signal for the music and the sermon of about the same level to the distributed system, but not to the house.

Thanks for your interest
  • Options
    AJayAJay Posts: 28
    OKay, so on the FOH, you want the 12dB difference, just not on the distributed system.

Yeah, this would be no problem on the 480 or 4800, or if we could use Input B on your 260.

The AGC might work to fix this problem, although a 12dB difference is kinda pushing it. I say try it out and let us know how it goes.